Newbie question...cordage...

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi Guys,

I am a total armchair bushcrafter, but today had a foray out into the woods determined to try my hand at making cordage from nettles. First of all, it was an unprecedented disaster. First of all, are there certain nettles which lend themselves better to doing this? I could find the really tall woody ones with no sting, but this didn't work at all. Secondly, is there a good way to handle stinging nettles to reduce the effect of being stung?

This isn't going to hold me back, and i'll be back out there tomorrow to crack on with it.

Any info would be a great help!! Thanks in advance!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :)

Firstly, to hang with all the advice about grasping firmly and the like, fine if you have hands like boot leather but very few of us do nowadays, find some gloves and long sleeves.

Secondly, dead nettle doesn't work as well. That's the plant, not it's aliveness iimmc.
After that, well, slightly older is better than younger, and growing in the open is better again than in the shade, but it all works.

Best of luck with it :D

cheers,
Toddy

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
That thread is awesome, cheers, i'll have another go tomorrow. Another quick question though...when the leaves are stripped off, are they dont from the bottom up, or top down??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE