Newbie - Please Help, gear suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
First of all welcome to the wonderful world of bushcraft, every journey begins with a single step.

A good place to find kit is car boot sales, I've managed to pick up a Wilkinson Sword survival knife for a tenner at one, some goretex Matterhorn boots for £20, a basha for £3, a snugpak sleeping bag for a fiver. It's just a question of keeping your eyes open and having the patience to wait.

Having said that, ex military suppliers are a good bet too, if you talk to soldiers and ex soldiers and find out what they liked and disliked then try to get hold of what you think works for you. if it doesn't work out there's always EvilBay to get rid of unwanted stuff.

You don't need a lot of dosh to get yourself out there, but beware, as you get drawn in you find that you can easily justify paying that little extra for that Gucci bit of kit :)

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
Firstly, hello and welcome to the site. I won't just reiterate what others have said about military kit etc. but if theres 2 items that are worth every single penny and more it's these.

1) A frosts clipper knife. well designed, comfortable to use and will hold a razor sharp edge for ages, dirt cheap too. i got 2 off evilbay for 8 quid. bargain

2) Sealskin socks. these are bit more pricey, about 20 quid a pair, very warm, completely waterproof, very comfortable. I used to be a postman and these were my most treasured possesion.

Hope thats helpfull.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE