Newbie hammock questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
So I've finally taken the plunge and purchased my first hammock, it's a DD camping hammock.

The idea was to make a small investment into hammocking, I've already got tarps and a mosi net to keep this setup versatile anyway.

I have been doing some research on suspension systems, and whilst they are not expensive as such I'd still be spending at least what I have done on the hammock alone. I was hoping I could just DIY a suspension system.

It seems that everyone uses a shop bought system! I was hoping to create a daisy chain type thing from 550 paracord and just use some strong peg type toggles to fix the tree straps and the hammock. But no one seems to use toggles? Is there a blindingly obvious reason for this? I feel like I've missed something haha.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
People do use toggles, when I started hammocking I joined a Hammock Forum and bought the Ultimate Hang book and found it very useful.

Personally I’d want some confidence that the toggle would hold the forces involved and not slip.

I use rings, having bought four from a Chandlers for a couple of quid rather than paying through the nose for rappelling rings, but having got the lay right tie them off to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
+1 for rings; directly to the tree strops for me and tied off on the bight. Didn't the DD come with a suspension system?

It would appear, like all things to do with this vast subject, you'll get people using the latest materials and technologies and going into quite complex (and sometimes expensive) systems so I'm sure you'll get other proposals :) - personally, I just use webbing and take a great deal of care not to damage the trees.

The Ultimate Hang is a useful first reference as DB says, though you can't beat dirt-time.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The DD hammock suspension system works fine, so to need to change it, especially if you're jist starting out.
Spend your money on an underquilt if anything.
So I've finally taken the plunge and purchased my first hammock, it's a DD camping hammock.

The idea was to make a small investment into hammocking, I've already got tarps and a mosi net to keep this setup versatile anyway.

I have been doing some research on suspension systems, and whilst they are not expensive as such I'd still be spending at least what I have done on the hammock alone. I was hoping I could just DIY a suspension system.

It seems that everyone uses a shop bought system! I was hoping to create a daisy chain type thing from 550 paracord and just use some strong peg type toggles to fix the tree straps and the hammock. But no one seems to use toggles? Is there a blindingly obvious reason for this? I feel like I've missed something haha.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Just starting.... DD webbing will do you just fine. As said by others save your funds for other stuff. Double checked and it does come with hanging straps.
They go from the hammock (head or foot) end to the tree , round the tree a few times if it will fit, i.e. enough spare, one going clockwise the other going anticlockwise and then knot the two ends together. Simple knot will do fine as the straps will grip the tree and hold tight. Same for the other end and you are done. Worry about whoopie slings and stuff after you have had a night or two.

I would recommend you do get a bug net to cover you mind but that could just me being a baby.

Any more questions ... just fire away. If I don't answer first, there are plenty of knowledgeable folk will be only too happy to respond.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Whatever you do, do not use the three T suspension method...

Do I want to know :D

Just starting.... DD webbing will do you just fine. As said by others save your funds for other stuff. Double checked and it does come with hanging straps.
They go from the hammock (head or foot) end to the tree , round the tree a few times if it will fit, i.e. enough spare, one going clockwise the other going anticlockwise and then knot the two ends together. Simple knot will do fine as the straps will grip the tree and hold tight. Same for the other end and you are done. Worry about whoopie slings and stuff after you have had a night or two.

I would recommend you do get a bug net to cover you mind but that could just me being a baby.

Any more questions ... just fire away. If I don't answer first, there are plenty of knowledgeable folk will be only too happy to respond.

Thanks for the advice, yep got a separate mosi net ready as I plan to use it up at Etive at some point! The bugs love me lately. Just watched a DD youtube vid on hammock basics, the standard suspension seems simple enough I think I'll manage that. Do I need to worry about rain running into the hammock along the webbing though?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
There is a real chance water can run down the webbing and onto your hammock. To stop this there is a need for a drip stop, which most folk by including a carabiner in the hanging setup. There are a number of hanging systems to choose from but you need quick fix now that's cheap or free. When you have setup the hammock using the supplied webbing, tie a bit of cotton rag around the straps close to the hammock but under / inside the tarp edge. Have a bit dangle down, as the rain runs down the webbing it will take the virtical drop down the rag.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
You can make a short continuous loop with a bit of paracord for each end of your hammock. You then use a karabiner to attach these to the knotted webbing straps. The karabiners act as drip points.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You can make a short continuous loop with a bit of paracord for each end of your hammock. You then use a karabiner to attach these to the knotted webbing straps. The karabiners act as drip points.

On the hammock forum there was someone who simply used the cord, tied in a Prussic on his straps, with the free end dripping water into his bottles for use. I’m not convinced you need a carabiner because I’ve had the rain come into my hammock at the head end in the night and tied the paracord from my torch around the suspension and it diverted it ok.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
IF and only If you are going to makes mods to your hammock, the carabiner mod is the first to go for I would suggest. As you have stated you are getting a DD hammock, it comes with a good length of webbing and it is to this the mod will be made. First have a look at the double fishermans knot https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/double-fishermans.
This will be used to make a loop of webbing at each end of the hammock. The loop is basically two knots tied into each other, so as knot A pulls it tightens B, as B pulls it tightens A. Once it is on the end of the hammock it may as well as be made of steel.
The hammock comes with the webbing already threaded through each end. You will slide the webbing along so that instead of being in the middle it is way down to one end and then cut the webbing. This now means you have a loose 9m length and 1 metre in the hammock still. ( saves you having to rethread the webbing). Make the double fishermans and it gives you a very secure loop of webbing at the end of the hammock .
The carabiner will go into the end loop and the long webbing into the binner. So now we have a long tree hugger attached to the hammock via a binner. Tree huggers tie up to the tree ....same same... Add a bit of rag to the binner and should any rain work down the webbing most of it will run off the binner, any that doesn't soaks into the rag and then falls to earth!
During the day you can detach the hammock from the tree, care of the binners, to work under your tarp and using the binners it will go back to exactly where it came from at night.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks for all the replies folks! The hammock arrived on weds, I went out that night with it and set it up via the suspension supplied, worked a treat I found it super comfortable. I had a pair of tawny owls and chicks keeping me company for the next hour whilst I hung out :)

I'm off to Etive not this weekend but next, I'm 100% taking the hammock now instead of ground dwelling gear, I've bought the DD underblanket too as I can see me really enjoying hammocking and I can see how a mat between the layers won't cut it

Reactions: MrEd
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Great news! Glad it worked out - I've never looked back, not least because it avoids all the hassle of having to find a vaguely flat and dry piece of ground. Be prepared to experiment a bit - I've had super comfy nights, and the direct opposite - all to do with the 'droop' of the hammock. I certainly haven't mastered it sufficiently to garuntee a comfy night every night yet- there is just so many different variables with the distance between trees, height of suspension etc etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE