Newbie (and child, also newbie)

Oct 14, 2024
London
Hi all

I’m new to camping, and pretty new to forums as a whole, and I’m hoping joining this will give me some ideas, support, and advice!

I have always wanted to camp in the wilderness at weekends ever since I was a kid, but my parents weren’t really “in to” that sort of thing, so I didn’t. Then I got older, work got heavy and other things became more important.

I have a 2 year old daughter now, and I want her to experience camping with me. Being in the middle of nowhere, walking, playing, drawing, cooking etc etc.

However, I have no idea where to start.

I’m quite a proficient cook, hands on, and I’ve camped at festivals and campsites before - so know how to set up and what I need. But I’ve never done it in the wilderness, nor with my daughter.

I know this is an incredibly broad question; but what are people’s experiences of doing this with their children like? Was there things you know now you wish you knew then? And what would you consider “essential” - gear or otherwise?

In advance; thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Welcome.

Mine are a bit older than two. But I started with warm weather back garden camping and introduced having them check and assemble kit and then a few skills like putting up a tarp.
Keeping the tent tidy so I didn’t end up laying in sweet wrappers…

Worked up from there by going to family friendly camp sites next and so on. So by the time school DofE came along it was non issue.

Special kit, use what you know and are familiar with. I always had an extra layer of sleep gear though.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2024
London
Hi Ozmundo!

Any advice is good advice!

I’ve looked at a few options for Wilderness courses to give me a bit of prior knowledge before taking her out for an overnight in a tent.

Oct 14, 2024
London
Backyard camping sounds like a great idea to start with. You could make it fun for your daughter by telling stories or looking at stars. Just an idea, not sure if it would work for a 2-year-old though.

Not a bad shout actually! Thank you.

Being in London the only “star” we see is the street lamps unfortunately. But it’s a good way to introduce her to sleeping outdoors.

Thanks

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Show her different leaves. Autumn is the perfect time. Shows her that there is more to your local park than the play area.

Get her to draw leaves and trees. Show her some different shapes. Fat oaks have growly voices, birch trees are young ladies like her. Christmas trees are very special.

Reactions: RPW88 and Ozmundo
Oct 14, 2024
London
Show her different leaves. Autumn is the perfect time. Shows her that there is more to your local park than the play area.

Get her to draw leaves and trees. Show her some different shapes. Fat oaks have growly voices, birch trees are young ladies like her. Christmas trees are very special.

Hey!

I actually did that this weekend (on the way to the park). We stopped and picked up the leaves falling, talked about the colours and the seasons. She loved it. Ended up carrying her own weight in leaves back home to show her mum!

• Love
Reactions: Pattree and Ozmundo

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Talking of leaves, when my son was about that age, we would collect leaves and make leaf art on the paths. Usualy mandala like circles, each layer was a different colour. It was great fun, instilling artistic values and leaving something beautiful for others to look at.
Even at two, telling the names of plants as you walk past will be good training. Needs to be repeated each season for a few years, as she will forget, being so young.
Picking blackberries or other fruits such as apples and making a pie or crumble together when you get home.
Animal snap on cozy tent nights, or at home.
Take a plastic potty camping, even in the garden.!
Conker and acorn "jewelery " are fun projects. Dad must make the holes, and a large blunt plastic children's sewing needle and (coloured) garden string to thread with.

Last edited:
Reactions: RPW88

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good to have you @RPW88 and it's great that you're looking to get out with your daughter, she will gain so much from it in so many different ways. If you're able (shamless plug here) you should come along to the BushMoot next Summer, it's a great camping and bushcraft event, family friendly, lots of helpful people and a safe environment for the children.

We're looking forward to seeing you about the place. Any questions ask away, there's always someone that can point in the right direction.

Reactions: RPW88
Oct 14, 2024
London
Talking of leaves, when my son was about that age, we would collect leaves and make leaf art on the paths. Usualy mandala like circles, each layer was a different colour. It was great fun, instilling artistic values and leaving something beautiful for others to look at.
Even at two, telling the names of plants as you walk past will be good training. Needs to be repeated each season for a few years, as she will forget, being so young.
Picking blackberries or other fruits such as apples and making a pie or crumble together when you get home.
Animal snap on cozy tent nights, or at home.
Take a plastic potty camping, even in the garden.!
Conker and acorn "jewelery " are fun projects. Dad must make the holes, and a large blunt plastic children's sewing needle and (coloured) garden string to thread with.

Fantastic ideas! Thank you so much. Hadn’t thought about the artwork idea - I’ll try and get her involved with that.

Once the housework is finished (currently it’s microwave meals), I really want her to cook more! And to get involved with foraging.

Reactions: Ozmundo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE