newbie air cadet adult leader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi i'm considering joining an air cadet group as an adult leader.

is there anything i need to know about kit,
or any handy advice about cadets in general?

will my bushcraft kit do?(see below)

Full Snugpak rocketpak including side pouches
OG Gore-Tex Bivibag
TNF cats meow sleeping bag 3-season -7°.
MoD Roll mat
Hennessey hammock
Auscam hooch in sack
(+2 pegs &4x cord attached)
OG Arktis webbing pouches
Wash kit
Soap contained citronella oil
Aquis adventure towel (in plastic zip pouch)
Earplugs

Hi-Tec magnums
2pair woolly sox
2 t-shirts
2 pair pants
Green/sand reversible Woolly hat
Head over Bk
Nomex gloves
Bush hat.
Moleskin trousers
Snugpak jacket
Auscam Arktis jacket
Cheap waterproofs in side pouch

Glasses
Phone fully charged
Medicine
Money
Princeton Tec Yukon head torch.
Book

i can go a bit more military than this, i have buffalo sleeping gear etc.

or do i need to get everything in DPM camouflage? :confused:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rappelby,

I know little about the air cadets, but, in the spirit of trying to help, I happen to know Ludlowsurvivor was an officer in the cadets for a long time and I believe his lady wife is currently some form of a cadet leader too.

Why not drop hima PM or e-mail in case he misses this post? He's a friendly fella with a wealth of info on this particular topic

Hope that helps?

Red

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Richard,

I was an Army cadet (a long time ago), for the exercises DPM was definately the kit to be seen in, or not, as the case may be ;)
You will probably be able to use other kit as well but I have a feeling that UK DPM kit and clothing is going to be the way ahead mate. But LS may have some better advice for you. :D

Brian

Reactions: RAPPLEBY2000

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers, just sent him a PM. :)
just seen the DPM windproof jacket & trousers in the swap forum. i'm hoping it's the right size! :rolleyes:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

For those who would like to be an instructor with any youth organisation the first hurdle to overcome these days is the Criminal records Bureau...They can take a long time to get you processed sometimes longer than 6 months...some times it will be less, you will not be entertained in a lot of these groups until you have been cleared.

A case I know of was a guy who had his paperwork returned because he had used the wrong colour black ink...

Another thing to remember is that it is not all about outdoor activities...far from it, apart from having to have a "qualification" just to show the cadets how to put up a tent, if outside of the perimeter fence they have to have a sound classroom knowledge of their subjects as well.

On a brighter note...it is well worth the time you give, great to see a snotty nosed kid come in and an adult leave!

LS

For more info take a look at www.aircadets.org

And as for the scouts, well it keeps the rabble of the streets I suppose...Lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think we must have a different system up here. It's a Disclosure Scotland document that's needed but if you apply through an experienced (as in they've got the right colour of pen and tellyouto fill inthe right boxes:rolleyes: ) youth group then it can be done in less than a week. Mine took four days. I have heard of individuals taking months thought to get it all sorted out.

Cheers,
Toddy

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Toddy, As with most things I think there is regional variations with some things...The ACO (Air Cadet Organisation) they have a national policy, no papers, no contact...It's hard on some to have to wait but they ALWAYS eer on the side of caution when kids of teenage years especially are involved...

DW had loads of problems with her original application, way before the CRB stuff came out, first they lost the form and she had to do another, then we got married so they gave her new forms again...took twelve months before she was officially in.

A lot of the CRB problemwas caused when the system came in, such a huge backlog formed that I think they just sent stuff back with any excuse they could find, so giving them more time.

With the Cadet forces there is a lot more to it than a lot of the Civvy youth organisations, for obvious reasons...MILITARY SECURITY is another high on the list security form...whereas the scouts don't often get to go into RAF, Army and Navy depots and fly around in military aircraft.

LS

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
took me 6 weeks over here for the paper work to be sorted now i get to teach
teenage marine cadets to set up bashas etc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our forms come in different levels, because of the work I do I had to have the highest clearances as did my sons for theirs. I agree that the backlog was a bad traffic jam but the system seems to be effectively in place now and genuinely can be very quick......well in Scotland, anyway, I would presume so elsewhere too.
I have friends who are youth leaders in army air and sea cadets and they not only get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from their work but admit that they've learned an awful lot too.

Cheers,
Toddy

Dace

Oct 12, 2004
Kent
Hi
Not often I post but, as I have a little knowledge about the air cadets, may I say that the most important thing you need is a good sense of humour :) a very understanding partner and most importantly never, never volunteer for anything unless you are 100% sure. :lmao:

Apart from that the fringe benefits are worth it.

It took 14 months before I got cleared, but then just look where I live, lol. I am an Adult Instructor with the Army Cadets. Pretty much all the kit that you need will be issued to you. I'd wait and see what you get, and then perhaps decide to supliment it. I got myself a webbing set, a bergan and some good boots. I doubt that you will get a chance to do any out and out "Bushcraft" type stuff, but you can overcome some of this by looking at how you can make the "Bushcraft" fit into the lession plans provided. In the Army Cadets, everything is done by the book and I'm sure that the Air Cadets are no different, so don't be dissapointed if the is a distinct lack of bushcraft. If you are interested in doing bushcraft, like I said, taylor it to the Air Cadets. for example, if you are putting up a basha, introduce a senario where they find themselves without a basha...................then show them how to make a leaf shelter. if they are complaining about having to eat 24 hour ration packs..................show them some wild food..........etc , etc.
As was said in an earlier post, having a good sence of humour is the most important. It may be some time before you are even allowed to actually teach Cadets. You will have so do a number of courses and pass a few tests before you get to take a class by yourself, and this could take a year or two. So Humour and patience will stand you in good stead.

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
ludlowsurvivors said:
With the Cadet forces there is a lot more to it than a lot of the Civvy youth organisations, for obvious reasons...MILITARY SECURITY is another high on the list security form...whereas the scouts don't often get to go into RAF, Army and Navy depots and fly around in military aircraft.LS

Ahh - some of us do. Both sea and air scouts can be Navy or RAF recognised which comes with tremendous benefits. As RN recognised Sea Scouts we took part in the International Fleet Review on board ship, along with a number of cadet groups.

Seroiously though if you are thinking about giving time to any of the youth organisations, good for you. You will need a sense of humour, prespective and understanding family but it is well worth doing.

Rich

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
wow there must be some pretty switched on leaders out there!

i used to do sea scouts, and normal scouts ventures ect and never got to do any of that stuff,i remember for ages the only activities were fixing canoes we never got to use. but then i think there were money issues back then.

Dace

Oct 12, 2004
Kent
With regards bushcraft I have found that if done under the Duke of Edinburgh scheme as a skill is well worthwhile persuing, to date i have managed to run 4 weekends with great success involving between 20 - 30 cdts each time.

Going back to your original request re kit, am afraid that the ACF get all the DPM bits supplied, ATC is down to bartering and scrounging as not standard issue. (Something to do with unit sponsoring).
When out and about take spares, cause despite kit lists, asking them and kit inspections they always forget something trivial like a sleeping bag, fuel, stove KFS etc.

Oh and it is fun, with regards teaching the ACF have a much better staff training system than the ATC ( can't believe i said that). :lol:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
A case I know of was a guy who had his paperwork returned because he had used the wrong colour black ink...
You now know two people that has happened to! It happened to me last week, I am starting a new job and the form was returned for exactly that reason :rolleyes:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

In particular Rap2000,

If you are going in as a Civilian Instructor rather than Uniformed staff you will not get issued with any outdoor kit, it is up to you to supply...Also in many activities especially trips to Military base's for shooting, courses etc, CI's are discouraged from wearing British DPM uniform, and especially discouraged from any other type of camo. If you decide to go as uniformed staff you only get issued with BLUE uniform, and will have to scrounge all of your Camo gear and it must be British DPM only, you may well get away from UKDPM if you are on an activity that is out in the woods and away from the public eye.

The Officer Commanding of the unit you are hoping to go to will give you a lot more details, so don't forget to ask the question.

All the best.

LS

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers, i've been offered a place that does involve Greens(DPM's).

i shall keep a look out for bargains.

i know in the TA it was wise to have spares incase you lost or trashed stuff!

i sort of want to make a good impression!

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Morning all,

Not sure why I missed this thread... probably because I've only just dragged my lazy **** back onto BCUK!

One suggestion I would make is popping across to AirCadetCentral - it's an (unofficial) Air Cadet website, inhabited by a number of staff members all of which would be willing to share experiences on life in the Corps. It will give you a more accurate, warts and all reflection of life in the Corps without the polishing which the AirCadets.org website will offer.

I'm a CI myself, with 6 years under my belt, and part way through the Commissioning process.

The most important thing to do is to be patient. As already mentioned above, the process is a long & laborious one - you'll need to accept that and try not to let it frustrate you too much!

As for kit, what you've got sounds plentiful & fine! It's not all green stuff these days, so the demand for greens should equal that for Adventure Training equipment. Maintaining diversity is the overriding challenge in today's climate - the ACO offers some of the most varied training opportunities - greens are just one element of this.

Hope that helps

Good luck

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE