new zebra billies

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got 2 new billies via woodlore yesterday(12cm & 14cm), and they did'nt have the plastic clips on, so due you think they are old stock, or do they no longer come with them fitted ?, i'm not complaining just wondering.

Regards, Rob

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I bought a 14cm from Ray Mears a few weeks ago and it doesn't have clips. I bit of searching suggests some places sell them with clips and others don't, I've no idea why.

I've not been able to find the clips to buy separately but if someone could post up a few detailed pictures of their clips, please, I expect something similar could be made.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think there was a picture of some metal clips made by a member raybritton, he made them so as to be able to keep the handle upright for pouring, just a t shaped piece of metal, the wings of the t folded around the handle, the leg of it sits in the bit the handle is riveted to, looked pretty cool and simple to make.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I got a 14cm from Woodlore a couple of weeks ago and it came without clips and in foreign packaging. I also got a 10cm from Tamarack and that came with clips and in western packaging. I dont think they are old stock as even the 14cm has holes in the handle hinge to take the clips. It may have something to do with their intended market destination, i.e if they are being sold in the UK as a 'bushcraft' billy and intended to be used over an open fire, then the clips may have been removed to stop the inevitable warranty claims for melting clips which might otherwise be viewed as a fault. Just my thoughts though, I could be and most probably am wrong :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The clips only keep the lid on when the handle is upright so not much use when packed for travelling... and they melt when using the billy over a fire :D

I guessed that would be the case, hence deciding not to get a set of the plastic ones but wondering if I could make something.

Thanks for the ideas southey, I'll have a search and have a go at something when I get the time.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Forget the clips, and for that matter, ditch the bail as well.
I drilled mine off and replaced it with teleflex cable (think bike brake cable)
Makes packing much easier.
If you want the lid to stay on when it's packed, get a large elastic band.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'm not botherd about the clips, just passing comment, having heard that they were now fitted. I think i will remove the bail arm on the 12, so it fits inside the 14.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE