New Zealand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
I have the lucky privleadge of spending some time in NZ it will be the middle of our summer here and there winter in the middle of the north island and the southern most tip of the south island i aim to go of the path for a we while does any one know if a can set up camp sensible any were or light small compact fires. if any one has any tips please share before i disapeer into the wilderness. thanks

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
wow, that is so cool! i would love to go! i was just watching "wild life on one" it was about the Kea parriot in NZ they live in the mountion and are really intellerigent but the have this nasty habiat of destroy cars though, so watch out for them!

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
thai,
I am a South African living in New Zealand for 5 and a half years.
When you get here, get hold of Department of Conservation. They will advise you.... The majority of the time, fires are NOT permitted on trails, and there are plenty of huts on all the big trails, to stay in anyway. Gas stoves are allowed everywhere.
Do NOT bring fruit in, and read the rules of importing things to New Zealand, on the 'plane. The rules will be given to you, and you HAVE to sign the document. If you break the rules, they will fine you, starting with $200-00!
Scrub all your camping gear, especially boots, or they will be washed at the airport, and you will be charged.
Sounds bad, but they do not want strange diseases coming in.

Ask any other questions here, and I will try and answer them for you...

Stuart

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
thanks for the sound advice because i was planning on wearing the old boots for flying in can't weigh the ******s then. i am expecting around the 5oc to 10 mark for temperture on the north island then about 4 oc lower on the south will be get there beging of august?

New Zealand rocks. I was there for a couple of months last year. They are quite strict about fires in most areas but It would not be impossible to get far enough off the beaten track on the South Island for it not to be a problem, (as long as you are sensible). The huts are great in the mountains, but 4 walls and a roof would be way too much like being at home for the majority of us. If you go to the Abel Tasman Peninsular on the north west tip of the South island you can hire a sea Kayak and go exploring the coastline. You can also walk, but its more fun by sea. There are great Camp sites along the way, but take lots of insect repellant, the Black Flies are B***ards!

Have a good one.

:biggthump

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
When I was visiting my folks in Wanganui on North Island last year there was a lot of controversy about what the relevent government department was doing with the older huts out in the bush. Traditionally these were precisely that, prefab wooden huts, often with stoves/chimneys and bunks. As they get decrepit the current policy in many areas seems to be to replace them with a shelter comprising a roof and maybe one wall.

A lot of Kiwis are annoyed at this, particularly hunters, but for a bushcrafter it is probably a great improvement!

:roll:

There's probably a list of the 'awful new huts' that you could plan a trip around!

:eek:):

Danzo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE