New Year meet in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
after the success of last year, i thought i'd gauge interest for a meet over the festive.

anyone up for it?

and more importantly, anyone got somewhere we can meet?

just an idea at present, but let's see if we can get the ball rolling so people can make plans/start begging for permission etc.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
im going to be in kyleakin for hogmany, so unless its somewhere on skye, i'm bumped.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Might have a think about the land near the Crannog?
Pretty central, beautiful bit of the world, on the loch for paddlers, and it ought to be quiet of tourists at that time of year too.
Cheers,
Toddy.............who has just worked her last *day* of the season :D :D :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i thought about about brownlee of maybe going back to the place outside stirling.
although the crannog centre sounds good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We could talk to Mike about Brownlee......parking's not a good thing there though :(
There area couple of places around Loch Lomond too, and a goodie down on Cowal, but they're a bit out of the way for Edinburgh and more northerly folks.
Cheers,
Mary

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
warthog1981 said:
im intrested i get three weeks off between christmas and newyear
That's quite a trick. ;)

I couldn't say what I'll be doing come the bells.
Loch Fyne would be nice in January :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The island on Loch Ard. Has a bothy. Problem is, would probably need permission for a big group, and I don't know who is the landowner. Would also need a lot of canoe shuttles.

Achray. Yeah, I know it would be the 3rd time in 12 months....Not sure if available-IIRC it wasn't last winter.

Have to say the last winter meet was rather good, so I am game on if I can get off work.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Grooveski said:
That's quite a trick. ;)

I couldn't say what I'll be doing come the bells.
Loch Fyne would be nice in January :)

working with caravans its dead at that time off year so im lucky and get three weeks :)

B

bushyboo

hi this is my first post , loch ard bothy is always taken by anglers you have to get there early as its a first come first served basis

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
bushyboo said:
hi this is my first post , loch ard bothy is always taken by anglers you have to get there early as its a first come first served basis

Hi Bushyboo,welcome aboard, if you fancy getting to gether with some of the members on here why not come along to the Scottish meet at Loch Achray,check out this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=15216.

Anyway welcome again.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks Bushyboo for the info on Loch Ard.

As the recent Achray meet was a fantastic success, I really think a winter meet would be a good idea.

There must have been 40+ folk at Achray, so even allowing that winter camping is not everyone's cup of tea, it could be quite well attended.

I enjoyed the Plean (Stirling) winter meet last year, although it was near the road, had no water for canoes and was not really as scenic as Achray - mostly young birch trees.

Days are short and a reasonably central venue would be good. My vote would be for either Achray (if available) or the Crannog land at Loch Tay (if available). However, if there are going to be 20 or more Achray would, I think be better. In either case it may be necessary for folk to bring firewood.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Loch Achray may be unavailable due to felling work but we can check.

Firewood is not really a problem at Achray. We are allowed to burn any of the wood that has been felled. Seems a strange thought to bring wood the miles from home when a few hundred yards from the site there is wood lying around :rolleyes:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
sorry to contradict, but we've burned pretty much all of the felled wood around the youth campsite. just ask russel. he chopped most of it ;)
unless there are felling operations near the site between now and new year we'll need to bring logs.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Graham_S said:
sorry to contradict, but we've burned pretty much all of the felled wood around the youth campsite. just ask russel. he chopped most of it ;)
unless there are felling operations near the site between now and new year we'll need to bring logs.

I was sure it was Russell who told me there was a good supply but it was up the hill.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
"up the hill" turned out to be quite a distance. unless he discovered a secret stash somewhere.
we were going quite far afield to find felled wood at the end.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Best way to transport firewood would be by canoe. Don't know if there was a source up the loch or not.

John, could you enquire about Achray's availability (or other FC site possibly)?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Driving wood round from where fellings have taken place would be easy enough, and would stop us competing with either the other users of the camp or the fisherfolk.

Not that I'm adverse to bringing in firewood, just seems a bit silly with a huge working forest there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE