New Year jubilation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Happy New Year to all :campfire:

For us New Year was more an important celebration than Christmass, it was when gifts were exchanged and family/friends came together for a week long feast.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Happy New Year JJ :D I hope it's a very good one to you and your family :D

When I was little Christmas was mostly for the children. It was nothing like the hype it's given nowadays. Adults looked forward to Hogmanay and Ne'erday.
Christmas wasn't a guaranteed day off work up here, but the New Year was.
Granny kept a present for us for the New Year because it was how it had been done in her childhood and she felt it still mattered. As a child I was just chuffed we got two sets of presents :D

The adults made great efforts to get round and greet everyone in the family; the Grandpa even expended the money to do an International phone call to my Granny's sister in Canada to wish her a Happy New Year…..that was pretty much all he said, right enough, but it was the principle of the thing; she was family. It meant we got trips around the country to meet up with relations we barely knew…..my parents had 56 cousins between them. Generations change, big families are rare now, I only have five, but somewhere out there are hundreds of second cousins, etc., The New Year could stretch out for weeks :)

Now it's quieter, though folks still bring in the New Year with family and friends and there are huge parties in the cities. Son1's in Hong Kong to visit and celebrate with his friends who work all over the world and HK more central than Glasgow, but Son2 is at home and he'll First Foot us and his Great Uncle at "The Bells"……and there are bells, the kirk bells ring out at the hours and we can hear the New Year ones ringing in the two villages at midnight.
I have fireworks too, Guy Fawkes was a sodden wash out so I hung onto them :) if it's dry we might set them off, just for the fun of it.
I miss the music though; folks don't sing like they used to, mostly they just put on something electronic.

Different times, but the sentiments are the same. Happy New Year when it comes :D

Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Happy New Year to you Tsitena and all those important to you,

Aye like Toddy says Hogmanay was traditionally more important here than Christmas same as for yourselves.

I've let the fire go out this afternoon and I've totally cleaned the fireplace, I've laid the new fire later and will light it at midnight (with a flint & steel you'll be happy to hear) and on the bells front & back doors will be opened to allow the old year out and the new year in. All the dishes and cleaning are done, worktops scrubbed with salt and I'm clean, shaven and shorn. Also have some money in my pocket so that I will continue to do so throughout the year. As I no longer have a shotgun I won't be stepping out the back door to fire a shot into the air at midnight.

I'll probably do my usual and nip up to the war memorial and pay my respects at some point. I like all the ritual and belief that go with things.

When it come for you I hope you all have a great New Year.

Lang may yer lums reek.
GB.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Best wishes to all in this great community (and elsewhere) for a grand 2016. Particularly those who need a change of luck, may the New Year bring it !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE