New wild camper after a new knife

May 1, 2013
Bridlington
First of all hi everyone, I have been using a mora now for some time and decided to upgrade to a new bushcraft knife I have around just under the £100 pound mark to buy a new knife with but unsure on blade material and grind i am going required I have a sharpmaker for my sharpening needs and have been putting a micro bevel on my mora which seems fine for me. As for the new knife I have been looking at two knifes the eka Nordic w11 and the Enzo tapper which is where I could do with your help in grinds and material selection considering I will be using the sharpmaker to maintain the edge also if you have have other ideas of knifes that fall into that price range I would be willing to have a look at those too

Cheers Winston

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Winston, Welcome to the forum. Both the knives you mention are good solid workers. I personally don't like a micro bevel, preferring to keep the scandi grind. I'm not sure but I believe the micro bevel will lead to reprofiling issues as the blade wears. I'm sure one of the makers here will explain better than me.:)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
For that budget i think you have nailed your choice perfectly with the Enzo Trapper, but as far as grinds are concerned, don't forget there is a choice with these knives, with both steel variants and grind types.....01 or D2? (and S30V) FFG or Scandi? If your sharpening equipment is the Sharpmaker, and you wish to move away from the micro bevel scenario, it may pay dividends to purchase the Trapper with a FFG, and provided the bevels are around the 20 degree mark (ie 40 degree edge) the Sharpmaker will come into it's own, the only thing left to choose then would be the wood or Micarta scales, link below, hope this helps.

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Enzo-Knives/c-1-92-756/

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK!

Which Mora? Carbon steel? I'd suggest that moving from a Mora to either of the knives that you've mentioned might be a bit of a culture shock.

I have at least four EKA knives (including a W11). They're all excellent and I like the 12C27 steel.

The Sharpmaker is in my opinion unsuitable for something like a W11, I think you'd be better off with a strop and some Autosol - if you need anything at all. Check out the Five Pound Sharpening Kit here on BCUK too.

How much/often do you sharpen your Mora? I feel that a lot of people do far too much sharpening. A couple of my EKA blades have never needed sharpening since new and they've seen quite a bit of use in twenty years!

May 1, 2013
Bridlington
Yes it is the carbon companion I have been using and I only give it a few rubs over the white stones when I feel the edge rolling. I have just cut some leather of a new apron I got at work today so going to stick it to a piece of timber would this do for a strop also is the d2 steel any good I have spydies in s30 but can't afford one of those trappers. So would the scandi grind be better than the full flat on the trapper that many differant choices I will be going for the trapper now with a micarta scales.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I love D2 takes a great edge. Ive never owned a trapper but everyone i know who has one raves about them.

Shameless plug but ive got a knife in the sales section that may be of interest.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Yes it is the carbon companion I have been using and I only give it a few rubs over the white stones when I feel the edge rolling. I have just cut some leather of a new apron I got at work today so going to stick it to a piece of timber would this do for a strop also is the d2 steel any good I have spydies in s30 but can't afford one of those trappers. So would the scandi grind be better than the full flat on the trapper that many differant choices I will be going for the trapper now with a micarta scales.

D2 is a great tool steel and a lot more rust resistant than O1 but maybe a tad harder to sharpen.
Scand-grind will bite into wood a lot better than a full flat with secondary whether it has a micro bevel or not.
S30V is a high end stainless, specially manufactured for the cutlery industry/blade steel that takes a superb 'toothy' edge but is a lot pricier.
You won't go wrong with a Trapper in either O1 or D2 with a scandi-grind for wood processing.
If you are making a home made strop, make sure the wood is perfectly flat and the leather is glued absolutely soundly with the flesh side up, and you will need some kind of cutting compound.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just one warning about the Enzo trapper. Great knife and had a few but small in the handle, so if you have big hands its something to think about. How about the Ffalkniven F1, good alround knife and well priced.
Also heard some good reveiws on The Bushcraft Stores new range of knives.

Last edited:
May 1, 2013
Bridlington
Thanks everyone think a D2 micarta is going to be my choice would love a S30v as my spydies scary sharp enough to split hairs but havnt got the funds with having a pregnant women at home and spending a fortune on fjallraven and tents and stuff.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Yorkies with knives! Worrying turn of events. Think I'll stay in Lancaster.

Here's mine, just upgraded

images

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
Heck I'm from Manchester originally, I'm in trouble now :p! :D

Its surprising to see someone 'from' hull on here. May i ask what brought u to hull of all places from manchester? I am also from hull, grew up on bilton grange, east hull.. ****hole... no offence if u live there.. luckily i moved away... Have u managed to find.many people into the bushcrafty sort of thing there?

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Its surprising to see someone 'from' hull on here. May i ask what brought u to hull of all places from manchester? I am also from hull, grew up on bilton grange, east hull.. ****hole... no offence if u live there.. luckily i moved away... Have u managed to find.many people into the bushcrafty sort of thing there?

Small world, I'm from Greatfield :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE