New toy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
redy8ugu.jpg

After a post I made while back how my hand seems to hurt and cramp using my woodlore I (with permission from swmbo! "What! Another knife") I researched and fondeled other knives and found one I liked it's the Timberwolf by Gary Mills and whilst having some play time before wife and kids come home knocked up a 'thing' and found the knife really nice to use. Don't know what I'm going to the 'thing' for yet probably stirring paint as now I've bought another knife the bathroom needs painting!!!!! Yes dear......!! 😉

Sent from somewhere?

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Yeah thanks Cam for answering my inane questions....😉 it's really nice to use and a lot easier in hand then the woodie. Done a few feather sticks as well as the 'Thing' and no probs with my hand no cramping or anything.. Which is always good.😄

Sent from somewhere?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'd be glad to hear if you find out what the difference between the two turns out to be - I often find that a grip that is too slim causes me to have to grip a knife tighter which can cause some discomfort, but it is not what I'd call "cramp".

ATB

Ogri the trog

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ogri it feels like cramp but then in the past ive damaged my hand/knuckles with rugby/work/ motorbike accidents etc.
That was my conclusion that the handle was too small or slim on the woodie so when I had chance of holding the Timberwolf I couldn't believe the difference it feels great in the hand straight away. And now I've had chance to have a play with it it seems my thoughts were right but then I've not used it much yet or in anger as it were.

Sent from somewhere?

Last edited:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'd be glad to hear if you find out what the difference between the two turns out to be - I often find that a grip that is too slim causes me to have to grip a knife tighter which can cause some discomfort, but it is not what I'd call "cramp".
I have the opposite problem, most knife handles are too big for my small hands. The one that sits perfectly is one that I bought from the maker in Roveniemi many years ago after going through his stock and picking the one that felt exactly right.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
That was the other deciding factor for me being able to hold the knife and choose ,could have gone for cheaper I suppose but I would have been taking a risk on the handle size maybe.... Not sure how it works as I've never commissioned a knife.

Sent from somewhere?

beretta63

May 24, 2014
Chesterfield/chorley
I ordered one of these and it went straight back, handle scales did not match and there was filler in one scale that didn't even match with the colour of the birch! Not happy on A knife costing nearly £200! Will not be using that company again!!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I can only speak as I find I went to the shop and sorted through what they put on the counter.... And I'm happy with it. I have heard on the utube reviews that early on there were some issues.

Sent from somewhere?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I ordered one of these and it went straight back, handle scales did not match and there was filler in one scale that didn't even match with the colour of the birch! Not happy on A knife costing nearly £200! Will not be using that company again!!

I've got one and did a review a while back. I've used it for everything from making bow drill sets, successful working ones too, to battoning knotty oak and feather sticking softer pine. It has performed well at everything I've thrown at it and was well worth the price. I'm my experience Gary's knives are of the highest quality, mine is for sure.

Naturally I can't speak for every knife, but mine is excellent.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I've got a woodie and a timberwolf. I haven't had the woodie too long but haven't found any problems with the size of the grip as yet but I do tend to get cramping with smaller handles. The big palm swell on the timberwolf is great for me even though I don't have particularly big hands.

I have the same issue with Mora Clippers. Have to use the robust.

beretta63

May 24, 2014
Chesterfield/chorley
I've got one and did a review a while back. I've used it for everything from making bow drill sets, successful working ones too, to battoning knotty oak and feather sticking softer pine. It has performed well at everything I've thrown at it and was well worth the price. I'm my experience Gary's knives are of the highest quality, mine is for sure.

Naturally I can't speak for every knife, but mine is excellent.

I was just the handle I was unhappy with, very poor for such an expensive knife!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE