new to this

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

musicman

Jul 24, 2008
Scotland, Glasgow
Hi all,

new to this site and the outdoors really - went camping for the first time last year (actual camping, not in my back garden) and flyfishing too, really enjoyed them both. I've read a few threads about camping outwith campsites here in Scotland and admitedly I'm totaly confused as to where is ok to camp and where isn't - it seems to be that the situation isn't as strict in Scotland as in the rest of the UK. So where abouts is it legal to camp in the wild in Scotland: forrests? mountainous areas? I love the woods so would hope to be able to do some camping in there at some point, preferably with acess to a river for some fishing! Also, does anyone have a link to a site which lists the rules of the outdoor code and the laws which affect where we can camp in Scotland? Anything else you think a newcommer should be aware of also welcome.

Many thanks,
musicman.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Welcome to the site. Suggest you Google 'Scottish Outdoor Access Code'. Basically since the Land Reform Act you can camp nearly anywhere as long as you do it responsibly and you are not camping within someones garden. Have a look at the Code anyway. Good luck.:D

musicman

Jul 24, 2008
Scotland, Glasgow
thanks for that, so it's ok to camp beside, or at the area surrounding, the lochs (such as venachar and lubnaig etc.) and in the forests run by the forestry commission (such as the forest near loch ard), yes?
Also, it'll probably mention this in the outdoors code thing which i haven't had a chance to read yet, but are controlled campfires allowed in all these areas, and are you actually allowed to put tents up or is it only hammocks and a tarpaulin allowed?

Many thanks again,
musicman.

K

kentynet

England and Wales have strict land laws. You need to stick to paths and common land or open access land and need to seek permission to camp.

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Also, it'll probably mention this in the outdoors code thing which i haven't had a chance to read yet, but are controlled campfires allowed in all these areas, and are you actually allowed to put tents up or is it only hammocks and a tarpaulin allowed?.

You should really read the code as it tells you everything you want to know.
To my understanding fires are allowed as long as your carefull about where you make them (not on peaty ground e.t.c.) and also you should cover your traces (spread the ashes, cover with leaf litter e.t.c.).
Tents are fine too but as with fires and everything else you should try to leave the site looking as it was when you got there.

Also you should clean up after other people if you happen to see any rubbish and stuff, I know its their resposibilty but there are some ars#@oles that just don't care.

Like I said you should really read the code, its very helpfull.
Heres the link again.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
You really can camp in the forests and mountains, including the places you mention. It should be lightweight camping rather than huge trailer tents. Tarps are fine. maximum 2 nights in one place and only 'small' groups.

Every weekend you will find folk camping near the Trossachs lochs. At the recent Loch chon meet there were four other groups nearby.

Fires are not allowed in or near a 'plantation' - so caution is needed especially in FC woods and where the soil itself is full of organic naterial and combustible. I would not personally light a fire in an FC wood unless it was on gravelly loch/river shores etc where it is both safe and easy to leave no trace.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE