New to this: boot help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

collie

Jan 31, 2010
limavady N.I.
Hi guys, just my tuppence worth but just got a pair of responder rf1 from patrol store. First class service and very comfortable straight out of the box. Side zip won't be waterproof but good for out and about.
Cheers eugene

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
See you back here soon! :D

Karrimors dont last long at all. Wrecked a pair after only a few months of mostly casual use, i.e hardly any off road stuff. My similar price Hi-techs that I bought afterwards were much better, although they were ruined just as quick because they took a lot of stick in that time... Then I decided to step it up and buy some Meindl Burmas. Still going strong after nearly 3 years of hard terrain. In fact the vibram looks bearly worn on em.

Last edited:

adamzam15

Nov 13, 2013
NW London
See you back here soon! :D

Karrimors dont last long at all. Wrecked a pair after only a few months of mostly casual use, i.e hardly any off road stuff. My similar price Hi-techs that I bought afterwards were much better, although they were ruined just as quick because they took a lot of stick in that time... Then I decided to step it up and buy some Meindl Burmas. Still going strong after nearly 3 years of hard terrain. In fact the vibram looks bearly worn on em.

lol your probably right, but i guess its part of the learning curve. besides i have my eyes set on Lowa for next year :)

adamzam15

Nov 13, 2013
NW London
in the end i went and tried on a few paies. i really like the fit of brasher hillmaster ii gtx. i found meindl didnt feel comfortable for me and other makes didnt fit well. are these good boots?

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
Hanwag Special Forces LX non Gortex. Ive had a few different boots over the years and was looking for a new pair to replace my Meindl Vakuum GTX, which were about the best boots I had worn. My brother is a Royal Marine, and he said a few of the bootnecks had rated them highly. I went for the non gortex LX version as they will be waterproof enough for me and dry a lot quicker than the gortex versions anyway. They are without doubt the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. Straight out the box, no wear in period, did a 6 mile walk at decent pace and no hot spots, blisters etc. Even when running in them, they are amazing. !!

http://www.camouflage-store.com/boots/hanwag/hanwag-special-forces-lx-combat-boot.html

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What are these Hanwags like for sizing? Do they come up bigger/smaller than your normal shoe size?

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
What are these Hanwags like for sizing? Do they come up bigger/smaller than your normal shoe size?

I think they are pretty perfectly sized. I have always been a size 9 in trainers and shoes. My Meindls were tight for a size 9 and could probably have done with a 9.5uk. I spoke to hanwag technical department, and because I have narrow feet, they said to stick with my regular shoe size. The Hanwags in 9 have that extra bit of room at the front that was missing from my Meindls. I tried the Lowa Patrols but they were far too wide for my feet.
i have ditched the standard insoles and bought some Meindl Vacuum foot-beds as they are slightly thicker and mold to your feet. Id say of your a size 9 go for a 9. I dont see why there would be a need to go up or down a size.

hanwag.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks a lot for the info., I'm leaning towards these as a little (?) post-christmas treat, they seem like the ideal non-GTX boot...............

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks a lot for the info., I'm leaning towards these as a little (?) post-christmas treat, they seem like the ideal non-GTX boot...............

The only thing i could fault them on is they have a high ankle support and driving in them is a little uncomfortable when they are laced up tight for obvious reasons, but that just because I was used to my Meindls which were a lower cut boot. I bought some Leder Gris polish/wax to keep them in top condition. When the soles wear out, Lancashire Sports (http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk) can resole them with original soles for £60.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE