New to all this need advise

Iknow Nowt

Banned
Oct 11, 2005
Lancs
Hello Everyone

This is my first thread and I'm probably going to post it in the wrong place :confused: But here go's.

First of all I'd like to say I have been looking at this site for a few weeks now and think it's excellent.

Secondly I am really interested in the whole Bushcraft thing but I have no experience whatsoever. Hopefully I will learn a lot from everyone here.
So here we go the first of many questions:

What kit without breaking the bank should I be getting?
(Basically what, where from how much!)

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
I'm still using basic kit myself. But i cant find much wrong with what i use though ;) .
I use a frost mora http://www.bushwear.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=250.

A simple basha not quite sure what make or the sizes. Sorry i cant find a link for this. Try ebay they have loads on there.

A british army mess kit http://www.exarmy.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=142.

And a swedish army firesteel http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr1559.html.

That tends to cover me for everything.

Fire
Shelter
Food
Water

P.S. I doubt these are the best prices but its a start. Bushwear also do a cheaper knife made for them. Its been discussed already
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8511

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
welcome to the forum, there's loads of info. and everyone's really helpful.
Your question's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string..it depends entirely on what you fancy trying.It might be worth you breaking it down into your basic needs when out and about.
I reckon that a knife is pretty central to alot of bushcraft and i would recommend something like the frosts mora or "training knife" ( although it's not really a training knife) You can get it for under a tenner, it's excellent steel so it will hold a good edge and will perform almost all you ask of it. If you want to spend any amount of time outside you want some suitable clothes (alot of people seem to favour ex army because its rugged and cheap), and if you're going to stay out, you'll want some shelter ( loads of options from making your own right through bivi's and tarp's to a tipi ) . Means to start a fire is also pretty crucial (swedish firesteel is a good start) and something to cook in (mess kit or billy cans etc).
After a short while of searching this forum, if you're anything like me, you'll need a bank loan for all the great kit that is discussed and recommended here
:D but i suppose initially i'd keep it simple.
hope this helps in some way

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi I was pretty much in the same boat as you just a month or two ago. Knew I wanted to learn more but didnt know where to start.

This is the route i took and it is purely my opinion.......

The advice I'd give to you is to buy a book - more specifically Mors Kochanski bushcraft book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-9156559-3484649) I bought this about a month ago and have learnt so much since and has given me a huge insight into the part of the world of bushcraft (I say part of the world because the book concentrates on the type of bushcraft that is most applicable to that part of the world) this coupled with, say, the Ray Mears guide will give you a very solid theretical starting point for your understanding of bushcraft

Secondly I would think about purchasing knife as this is one of the major tools that you will require to learn how to craft other tools and equipment from, a cheap but very reasonable purchase that I reckon nearly everyone has at least one of are the Frost Clipper or Mora knives that can be picked up for about £10 - they arent the worlds nicest looking knives and have a lot of plastic envolved but they do the job!

Then - if you want to learn how to start fires, perhaps not by friction to start with, a firesteel is a good inbetween of modern firelighting skills and old methods of flint and steel these can be picked up from places like millets or blacks for £12 i think or a bit cheaper if you source from the various internet stores out there.

And if you are learning how to start fires perhaps youd be looking to cook on them - in which case a billy can may prove useful.....Zebra seem to be the leading brand but some cheaper alternatives are out there too. A search on this forum should provide all the links you need.

After that you may want to start thinking about sleeping out to continue your practice of the new skills you have learnt - in which case a sleeping system of some kind (tent, bivi, hammock) may need to purchased - or of course you could build a lean too or other temporary shelter using the skills you have learnt from the books ;) :D and if you are thinking about staying out for extended periods a way to purify/filter water may also be useful as we wouldnt want you dropping down with some illness contracted from dirty water :( :yikes:

So thats how i started out - but im sure other people may have different routese :shrug:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Start with things you've already got (that old warm woolly pullover at the back of your wardrobe, the hiking boots sitting in the garage that haven't been worn in a while, and raid the home first aid kit for a few bits and bobs to carry in your pocket, once you get a knife you'll need something to patch yourself up with when you knick a finger in the woods...that sort of thing)....then head to a car boot sale and you'll find pretty much everything you need to start off with for a good price there (old small pan for 50p...a nice warm wolly blanket, a little army folding clasp knife for a quid...and so on). :) Next port of call should be the local Army Surplus shop (foam matt to sleep on...sleeping bag maybe...a small torch)....and so on until you have 5 of everything and have become as much a kit junkie as the rest of us here lol :D

All you need to bushcraft is in your head Mate...anything else is just a bonus ;)

Kit is important (and too important to some of us :rolleyes: ) but never forget that you can easily replace missing kit with knowledge but you shouldn't replace missing knowledge with more kit :D

It also depends which area of bushcraft you intend to do (or do first anyway)... if you want to learn to carve then you'll need a knife. If you want to try starting fires then a firesteel or flint&steel might be useful....what I'm getting at is that there's so much kit about and bushcraft is so varied that it's hard to answer such a general question. As the chap below said, if you cover the basic four needs then you're well on your way :)

Our own "High Priest", of bushcraft (RM) tells us in his early teachings that he learned the art of bushcraft simply because he didn't have the money to buy expencive camping equipment :)

So in short...get the very basics and then get out into the woods and play....summers ending and the woods will soon be quieter and nicer to play in...enjoy it :D

Bam. :)

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
All you need to bushcraft is in your head Mate...anything else is just a bonus ;)

Kit is important (and too important to some of us :rolleyes: ) but never forget that you can easily replace missing kit with knowledge but you shouldn't replace missing knowledge with more kit :D

Bam. :)

here here! :approve:

Iknow Nowt

Banned
Oct 11, 2005
Lancs
Thanks for the reply's so far.

I have noticed alot of talk about Mora's and wondered if any particular one is more suitable than another? I quite like the look of the traditional one I think thats the one with a wooden handle but may be wrong! as i say I don't know much. How much are they where do I get one and most important are they any good?

Once again thanks for your replies! :)

leon-1

You can buy the traditional mora's from ebay, they come up everynow and again. Either the frost clipper or frosts 780 (I think it's a 780) are very good for the money that you pay for them. In the end they do what you want them to do which is cut.

As bam said buy kit progressively, don't try and buy everything in one go. Some of the guys have mentioned Zebra billies, I won't say don't buy one because I have a couple myself, but for a tin to cook in they are not really that cheap. You could do a lot worse than the Swedish army kits as they can be used over an open fire or they can be used with thier stove (which is effectively a trangia meths burner) and they come in quite reasonably price wise.

A lot of the guys do use ex military issue clothing as it is hardwearing and cheap.

If you don't want to fork out shed loads on waterproofs and shelter don't, buy a grade one issued poncho (not basha) it will do both jobs quite happily.

The 35L swedish army packs are cheap and of a good size for getting your kit in, you don't need firesteels to start off, matches or a lighter will do.

As the man said take your time getting kit, practice with what you have untill you can reasonably afford the next thing on the list:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
IKN, Welcome to the forum,
First off, sit back, relax and read a bit more.
Gather the information relevant to the few skills you want to learn first. Visit some other sites (sorry mods) and really research what kit would be best for you. There are plenty of sites around that recommend making it yourself and there are detailed instructions as well. When you do buy some kit, find out how to use it properly and make any modifications to make your life easier.

Take you time and learn well

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-1

Ogri the trog said:
IKN, Welcome to the forum,
First off, sit back, relax and read a bit more.
Gather the information relevant to the few skills you want to learn first. Visit some other sites (sorry mods) and really research what kit would be best for you. There are plenty of sites around that recommend making it yourself and there are detailed instructions as well. When you do buy some kit, find out how to use it properly and make any modifications to make your life easier.

Take you time and learn well

ATB

Ogri the trog

No problems mate, that is sound advice.

Now where is the ban button again:lmao::lmao::lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's a bit of a self deprecating name!! Hopefully, in a while, you'll be able to change it to I am Jedi Master of Bushcraft, or something similar!!!

This topic seems to be cropping up quite a bit over the last few weeks. Any chance of a thread being created and stickied in a place where all newcomers will be able to find it? I would glady contribute, I think it would be very worthwhile.

I think a swedish trangia and a mora knife, and maybe the 35 litre daysack from surplus and adventure for under a tenner each, this would be a good start. Most people will have a half decent jacket for outdoors use, if not, try those german waterproofs from surplus stores. Olive green, they are very cheap, just get rid of the badge and you won't look too odd in Britains' forests!!

Boots can be picked up quite cheap, try ex military boots, but remember that you need to be comfortable in them and you will be walking a bit, so make sure this is a good choice, and don't buy boots first thing in the morning. Go for a walk and then your feet will swell to their natural size, and then go and buy your boots. Also, wear the socks you will be using for bushcrafting when you try your boots on!!

Of course, when you want to stay out for the night, start getting the gear for that then, but a survival bag in bright orange would be an idea to take with you at all times. Things can go wrong at anytime. Also, a first aid kit is a compulsory item in my mind, and replace things when you've used it.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
cgait said:
I just checked out the link for the 35 litre day sack and i'm a bit confused.
Whats the metal frame for?????????????????????????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It spreads the load on your back, just the same as an internal one does. There's heaps of threads about which is better but the bottom line is your own choice.

If Abbe's about he'll show you a pick of what he uses his external frame for ;)

Bam. :D

(EDIT: In fact here's a link to Abbe's site, if you scroll down you'll see him using the frame only of his bergan....neat trick I think and it could just as easily be a 20L water container strapped on...or petrol jerry can or a hunted deer you need to carry out etc etc etc....
http://web.telia.com/~u18313429/picture_gallery_summer.htm)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
your exactly the same as me you dont know were to start
well alot of people on here have suggested that you learn the parts of bushcraft that you find fun first
whilst doing that i am also learning knot tying
hope this helps

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I would suggest just getting out and about for a bit. Screw all the kit for now. If you dont get on with the environment in the first place then you will probably not return to it (I suppose you could flog it all on here anyway). Just get out into your local woods etc and have a wander about and see what you can see i.e identify flaura and fauna. Sit in the woods on an old log for an hour or two and take it all in. Eventually you can set up a little camp for the rest of the day and then make the big move to staying the night. Take your time, there is no rush here.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Arg! I really want one of these swedish 35 sacks, but can't find anywhere that will post overseas. Except for one place that wanted more than the price of the pack for shipping ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE