New Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Les I don't know your tent in particular, but the general rule of thumb is that if they are taped the seams should be waterproof.

I would set it up in the garden and shower it down with the garden hose and see what gives, you'll soon find out which seams if any are leaking. Bring it indoors, dry it off and then proof the seams if required.

As far as actual sealants are concerned there are a few which are pretty good, Grangers Seam Sealant is probably one of the easiest to get hold of, but in the age of the internet you could also get hold of others which are probably a little better.

Mountain Equipment actually include sealant with thier tents for repair purpose, it is called Silnett and is supposed to be pretty good (Info from a friend).

Silnett is made by a company called McNett who also have a product called Seamsure, either of these were available from PointNorth under Accessories, although I think it was Seamsure wasn't in stock last time I looked. You should be able to get a good deal from them, hope this helps,

Leon.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
on the subject of seam sealing, when I bought my last jSaunders Jetpacker the instructions said the seams were NOT sealed and recommended you seal them yourself! (lot of money for a leaky tent :rolleyes: ). The first one I owned many moons ago didn't say anything about this. They recommended modelling dope mixed with thinners (no info on mix ratio) - or banana oil?! - the latter i've been trying to track down for about 2 years now - anyone heard of it?

All attempts at contacting Saunders have failed, which it would appear from the internet searches i've done is normal. not impressed :(

BTW, not trying to hijack the thread, I'll be watching the answers with interest as I want to be able to use this tent!

Cheers
Steve

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Bikething, the first tent i bought, years ago, was the vango equivilent of the jetpacker. That leaked like a sieve first time i used it, so i took it back and got a Saunders Spacepacker (MK1). Still use it, and it's about 20 years old now, maybe more..

I just use seamseal occasionaly to restore the seam waterproofing, and it works fine... (I put it on both sides of the seam - not sure if you need to, but it works)...

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
it depends on the tents fabric. If you bought one with expensive silicone-coating then the seams are not factorytaped because this is impossible. Use something like "Seal net".
With taped seams (as found on PU-coated fabrics), you still can have leakage, because some parts of the innertent are connected with the seams of the outertent.
Use this:http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/...8001&GTID=d0a836dbc7b3e05fe1ffb6e42a4b2a01a32
which is from the same manufacturer who also produces the above mentioned seal net.
Anyway most tapes simply fall off after five or so years and the amount of condensation in a tent is usually much higher than the amount of water penetrating through the seams. And tents with really good seams (there are so many ways to stitch tent fabric) leak only a tiny bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE