New tent selection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
I'm looking for a new tent as my current vango 3 man is too big for my needs and too heavy plus it's quite old now (add any justification/reasoning you like here, I just want one). I'm looking for a 2 man jobby for me solo camping and occasionally my daughter. I'll be doing 3-4 seasons in Scotland, generally coastal with no plans for mountain camping during the winter. I've convinced myself that a Snugpak Scorpion 2 is ideal but I've just looked at a Vaude Terratrio 2P which is the same weight, slightly larger and cheaper. I know there are lighter tents but I want a bit of confidence in the overall strength and longevity.

I'd be grateful for anyone's experience with either of these tents or suggestions for alternatives.

Thanks

Will

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
No personal experience of either tent, but just to note that the inner of the Snugpak is black, which I would find depressing. If you're using a light or candle at night you'll get less light because the inner isn't reflecting.

Vaude have a good reputation, and comes with a nice yellow inner!

But I wouldn't be convinced that the Vaude would be up to coastal or mountain camping in strong winds - two poles, and one only connected to the ground at one end! But the reviews seem favorable enough, so what do I know?

If I was looking at 3-4 seasons in Scotland, I'd be looking at something like the Force 10 semi-geodesic: http://www.cheaptents.com/acatalog/force-10-ion-2.html Still light enough, and loads of strength.

Just my thoughts... :)

Jackdaw

I highly recommend the Vango Banshee 200. It's a bit tight for two adults but an adult and a child would be fine. Around 1kg and very easy to pitch (with inner attached to avoid soaking it) it's now my go to when up in the hills.

I'm an ML (S) and have used it in all weathers on the mountains with no problems. Being a Yorkshireman means the price definitely gets my vote.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Nohoval_Turrets, thanks for that link, seems like a nice option although a bit more expensive, same weight a bit more space, ticks the boxes. The black interior of the snugpak will help me sleep in beyond the first hint of sunrise or will be an interior light sucking cave, I've leaned toward the former but would be very interested in any user experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE