new survival programme

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
hi all,
just thought i'd give you all a quick heads up on a new programme on discovery tomorrow night ( sunday) at 6pm. its called survivalman.
' join wes stroud as he tries to suvive 7 days in the arctic. Seal liver, blubber for heat, a seal hook, 3 matches and a knife are all he has'
this is the first in this series where he attempts to survive a week in different terrain.
looks good eh? also heres a videoclip of the series. you have to watch an ad first though :(
http://science.discovery.com/convergence/survivorman/video.html

regards
james :D

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Viewer beware! Although intertaining, he misses the point of why he's there to begin with and doesn't really explain what he's doing and why he's doing it. He also does some very crazy stuff that should never be repeated by those that watch. Things like camping on a river when a storm is dumping buckets of rain, not only where he is, but on the mtn., he's near. Or, eating mushrooms that he isn't sure of.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
RovingArcher said:
Viewer beware! Although intertaining, he misses the point of why he's there to begin with and doesn't really explain what he's doing and why he's doing it. He also does some very crazy stuff that should never be repeated by those that watch. Things like camping on a river when a storm is dumping buckets of rain, not only where he is, but on the mtn., he's near. Or, eating mushrooms that he isn't sure of.

I agree Mate, a few of my mates are from his neck of the woods and they aren't all that impressed wih him either.
I watched the last series and I have to agree with them.

Won't stop me watching it though lol :p Thanks for the heads up :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

RovingArcher said:

agreed, the guy shows how *NOT* to survive and basically showboats his way through with "look at me! i'm starving, i'm so tough".

absolute crap to be honest and i'll guarantee that everyone on this site who watches it will sit there wondering just what the hell he's doing.

I first stumbled accross this idiot here . I was so mad the first couple of episodes i took up Discoverys invite to email them with my opinions and suggested ways he wouldnt struggle so much and make it a worthwhile program that might actually teach something.

Also theres another new program here called "i shouldnt be alive", again not much survival instruction stuff but more like tales of how things can go really wrong, thats more compelling viewing cos the people involved never have any survival training at all and makes you think what you would be doing given your knowledge in those peoples situations.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I kinda get a kick out of some of these programs. I take them for what they are and hope that eventually, someone will actually put Ray M. or Ron Hood on our TVs. Then there might be some good instruction involved.

Perhaps they're just getting people's attention by putting the more intertaining types on and then they'll work the real teachers in, so they get a better viewing audience.

Dogface

Jun 16, 2005
Surrey
Hmmm indeed. It's worrying because this guy is supposed to be an 'expert' and a teacher (as I understand it). Contrast that with how RM or others (including most of us here) might do in the same situation with the same tools...
I guess it's what you know, not what you've got, that counts.

Cheers!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Dogface said:
Hmmm indeed. It's worrying because this guy is supposed to be an 'expert' and a teacher (as I understand it). Contrast that with how RM or others (including most of us here) might do in the same situation with the same tools...
I guess it's what you know, not what you've got, that counts.

Cheers!

I cant see it in my place, what is the guy doing wrong. I tryed to see the clips someone posted a link but they dont show me any film.
Would be nice if you guys could spell it out what he is doing wrong.
Its nice to learn from other peoples mistakes. :D

cheers
Abbe

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
that wasn't too good a programme eh? sorry i gave you all a heads up on it. i thought that it would be better than that. it just goes to show us all how good mr mears is at actually informing us in how to do things. i was just sitting there thinking that ray would do things more efficiently and better. if he hadn't of started his fire to dry his boots he could have been in big trouble since he brought along the wrong footwear instead of using what the locals used. so much for forward thinking.

regards
james

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
It was still better than most of the drivel on the telly, it's just that Ray has created an unbelievably high standard of what we expect from survival programmes, we forget that other people will have to resort to sensationalising and over dramatising contrived situations. Somehow I don't see the survivorman range of merchandise going to well.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I watched this and watched the program on the link below, ok it is hard to believe this guy has been teaching survival since 1986 but then I look at some of the survival experts I know and I see the same thing, they know the theory and can act it out on there own turf but take them out of there comfort zone and it goes to rat it.

The idea of the program is to put Jo Townie Blogs in a survival situation with what Jo Towny Blogs might have with him. The two programs I have seen shows what normal people with the will to survive would do in the situation.

Ray Mears has the skills but he is a television presenter with a production crew behind him, a lot of research goes into his programs and in many cases Ray is shown something and he rehe****s it many times before doing it to camera. He also uses production techniques to get rid of all the sloppiness and grubbiness. I mean have you ever seen Ray with mud creeping up the inside of his trouser legs? Or going hungry for 7 days? No you have not.

This guy on TV tonight did what any normal person would do and I am sure there are many on here including myself that have not been that far north in that environment. It would be interesting to see how we would all fair in that exact situation.

What this guy has shown is that it is not easy, but what ever you do, what every mistake you make it’s better than sitting on your bottom doing nothing.

One point I will make between this guy and Ray.

This guy attempted to build an Igloo after four days without food, he admitted he had never attempted to build one before and it was obvious he had never been shown how to do it. He also only had improvised tools.

Ray when he built his for one of his programs had a team of Inuit with him and to be honest they built it, they had the correct tools with them. They were not in a survival situation. They probably had all the comforts of there village just a couple of feet out of shot.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Well I thought it was okay as entertainment but as instruction it fell flat on its face, did enjoy where the igloo ( more of an "ig" really ) fell down as he built it

Rod

On a new journey
Abbe Osram said:
I cant see it in my place, what is the guy doing wrong. I tryed to see the clips someone posted a link but they dont show me any film.
Would be nice if you guys could spell it out what he is doing wrong.
Its nice to learn from other peoples mistakes. :D

cheers
Abbe

Abbe,

I think it's more a matter of what he's doimg right! Not the sort of bloke you'd want to get stuck in the bush with :eek:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Grasshopper said:
Abbe,

I think it's more a matter of what he's doimg right! Not the sort of bloke you'd want to get stuck in the bush with :eek:

hmm I really would like to see these films, is there a way to look tv over the internet.
There are radio stations on the net but what about looking TV over the net, is that possible? I have to see it myself.

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
innocent bystander said:
Abbe, i just watched the old one on here :
http://www.exn.ca/OneWeek/watch/

So the link still works. Bottom of the page, you click on the day, and a pop up window opens - it takes a little while to load though...

Do I have to pay? I only get a black screen and the player but I dont see anything loading. I keep it open now and see if I get a movie but I dont think its working for me.

thanks mate for sharing the link I hope I get it working
cheers
Abbe

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Abbe........I can watch it ok with internet explorer, I do not know what system you are using, but its still available and free.............Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE