New Stove: First Impresions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Argos do some good sales this time of year. They do a clone of the Larger Trangia, the 25 for £24.99
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0190154.htm

The aluminium is not as tough as the original, but it means you get a set the size of a 25 for the weight of an original 27 (and at half the price) :) Works very well, and I've mounted a cheap gas burner in one, this also works well (as well as gas ever does). To be honest, I rely on meths and not gas, but it was a fun experiment to carry out

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I'm glad this thread has been resurected as I'm fiddling about making a stove like this myself!

Can I test your memory Martyn and ask a couple of questions?

1. How did you make steel wire hanger? Did it come pre-made with the hooks already attached or did you attach them yourself?
2. Do you carry the meths seperatly or do you 'risk' carrying it in the meths burner?

Many thanks,

Mat

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jon Mawer said:
Likewise, very neat bit of gear you've got there Martyn... (Does it take the 10cm billy?)

Hmmm, you can make it work with a 10cm pot by putting coathanger wire accross the stand. But it's not ideal and the clickstand wont all neatly fit inside the billy, so I'd have to say no, not really.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Mat said:
I'm glad this thread has been resurected as I'm fiddling about making a stove like this myself!

Can I test your memory Martyn and ask a couple of questions?

1. How did you make steel wire hanger? Did it come pre-made with the hooks already attached or did you attach them yourself?
2. Do you carry the meths seperatly or do you 'risk' carrying it in the meths burner?

Many thanks,

Mat

Hiya Mat..

First the hanger loop. I bought the braided steel wire from B&Q off the roll for 46p a meter I think and added the loops myself. I used regular brass picture hangers for hooks and just looped the wire through the nail hole in the hanger and then whalloped it flat with a hammer to crimp the wire. I also used electrical wire connectors to crimp the ends.

stove004.jpg

Second question, I carry meths in the burner and just put the burner in a poly freezer bag and tie it with a knot, so it doesnt stink up the inside of the billy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE