New spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Hi guys.

Just received my new Robin Wood spoon knife this morning.

Don't know how well the pictures will show it, but the edge isn't exactly straight. It's a wee bit wavy. Is this normal for spoon knives/Robin Wood knives? I have no basis for comparison. It cuts well, but I don't fancy my chances when it comes to sharpening properly.
IMG_20170608_120623781.jpg
IMG_20170608_120652632.jpg

Thanks guys

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hm.. if it were mine I'd send it back. Not sure how much you paid or anything but no chance would any proud maker send out a twister like that. Curveature in the edge like that will not produce even, consistant and clean hollow cuts. As said, it will sharpen out but still, that imo is shoddy and you deserve a refund.

I forked out for a Ben Orford one years ago when I thought I wanted a go at making a bowl and stuff. It's good, the edge is on and the overal profile is great. Best I've seen though is a Nic Westerman spoon blade, mirror polish, well shaped etc.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nah mine is the medium sized one, just a candy cane shape. The light in my picture makes it looks a bit odd but it's an even grind and ticks all the boxes. Only thing initially that bothered me was the lack of polish on the egde. But after using it, you realise that isn't important. As long as the lines match up and the steel is done right, you're good to rock n roll.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Nah mine is the medium sized one, just a candy cane shape. The light in my picture makes it looks a bit odd but it's an even grind and ticks all the boxes. Only thing initially that bothered me was the lack of polish on the egde. But after using it, you realise that isn't important. As long as the lines match up and the steel is done right, you're good to rock n roll.

Sorry bud I meant the Nic Westerman knives

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Hm.. if it were mine I'd send it back. Not sure how much you paid or anything but no chance would any proud maker send out a twister like that. Curveature in the edge like that will not produce even, consistant and clean hollow cuts. As said, it will sharpen out but still, that imo is shoddy and you deserve a refund.

It's a Robin Wood, direct from his site. Nearly £50 with postage. I thought it would be a good investment.

Think I might contact him.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's a Robin Wood, direct from his site. Nearly £50 with postage. I thought it would be a good investment.

Think I might contact him.

Ouch, £50? no way mate. Send it back right away with full confidence that £50 will get you waaaay more than that. My BO one was £40 a bunch of years back. Moras ae £20? Geta Mora.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE