New species thrill.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi all, just wondering how many of you besides me get exciting and delighted when you find a species you've never seen before? For me it makes my day, sometimes my week. I love seeing something for the first time, and adding to my knowledge. Even just seeing something in Spring that I haven't seen for a year can do this to me.

Last weekend I found two species at once. I was chasing what turned out to be a Roesel's Bush Cricket, when a Long Winged Conehead (another sort of cricket) landed on my arm. I got so excited with my capture that I rushed home with it to confirm my identification, then realsied that the Roesel's was much rarer, and had to rush back to the site to catch a Roesel's as well. I was like a kiddie given a surprise bag of sweets. Turned out to be the third ever record for Monmouthshire.

Then I had to rush around showing everyone what I had found :red::red:

It's even better when the thing is genuinely new, but not many of us get to do that. I've added numerous species to the lists for Wales, and dozens of new county records, and they are great. Once, I almost found a new species to science, but then some swine found an intermediate between it and a continental species, and it got downgraded to 'new to the UK'. I still grinned for months.

It is funny how it happens too. One of the rarest spiders I ever caught was in a quick search in a woodland whilst my wife had a nap to shake off a headache. Another was directly outside the car where I parked it. A mate of mine has the only record of the false widow, Steatoda nobilis from Wales, from a sea-front toilet. Specifically, in the ladies'. Don't ask me how he found it.

My almost new to science was a harvestman, of course. Going through some old specimens, I pcicked up a small black harvestman, and thought "Oh I know what this is. Only one black harvestman species in the UK, and its very common. No need to check it. Oh well, I've never actually looked at one of these under a microscope. I'll have a look, it might be interesting. Hey! Wait a minute, this is different..."

I was so close to throwing it away! My 15 minutes of fame was an interview on Radio 4 as a result, but they mostly thought it was funny because you have to look at the male penis for a definitive identification... :rolleyes:

Anyway, does anyone else recognise these symptoms, on whatever scale, or am I just being weird again?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i moved house at the beginning of last year and started feeding the birds to try and bring a bit of life into my tiny little patch of garden. pretty soon after i started feeding i noticed a sparrowhawk sitting on next doors fence looking very interested in my garden birds. it took 18 months of patience and moving feeders around but i finally got to see the sparrowhawk make a kill about a month ago. not a new species, not even to me, but one of the most exciting new things i've ever seen in nature. i'm getting goosebumps thinking about it :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think the Sparrowhawk was discovered a while before you spied it mate :lmao:

But seriously, it is a great feeling to see an animal you've never seen before, and it usually stays with you.

I'm lucky enough to have discovered a new snake species a couple of years back and I'm heading up the project on protecting it in that country. Sadly, that feeling is a little tarnished as discovery may also lead to it's extinction.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
:lmao: you snooze, you lose

Story of my life.

But back to the thread. It's pretty epic to discover a new species on your home ground in the UK. I've got no chance of that happening in my field unless I cheat. To discover a new species of Harvestman is pretty damned cool. Is it in a book now? And do you have piccies?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's my beastie.

http://srs.britishspiders.org.uk/portal.php/p/Summary/s/Centetostoma+bacilliferum

It doesn't have to be on that scale though. I remember the first (only) time I ever saw the caterpillar of Lobster Moth. My firned, who caught it, is possibly the best entomologist I've ever met, and his reaction was to shout "What the hell is this?"

Google it for possibly the weirdest looking animal you've ever seen.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Now that is a great thing to have under your cap.

And yeah, that caterpillar is something else...

6829839597_a05260e43b_z.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE