New sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Hi all,

I fancy a new sleeping bag from the Mrs for Xmas and am trying to make up my mind between an Alpkit Skyehigh (prob 600 but maybe 400) or a Snugpak Softie Merlin 3 (maybe 6 Kestral).

This year I only ever stayed out in Summer really but I also used my current bag in Germany in September (camping at Oktoberfest) and it was bloomin freezing and it wasn't snowing or icy. Current bag is a Snugpak one I got years ago which says -2 to -7 but I know these are optomistic.

I'm thinking of a lighter and smaller bag as I could use a silk liner or even a fleece one if I had to which would maybe give a more versatile system than a larger bag and allow me to camp lighter in Summer.

The benefits of down vs synthetic have been discussed before, but just wondered on your views?

Thanks

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'm also considering getting an Alpkit one, have done a conciderable amount of looking things up etc ( I'll not call it research as that sounds so boring.. lol ) Trail mag covered them in their extensive kit review some months ago and basically said that their temp ratings if anything were under exagerated - not their words mind you, going by the stats they produced compared to the ratings of the bags. They tested the SkyeHigh 600 ( I think, memory a bit fuzzy here ) and it's official rating is -5 which they reckoned was fine upto -10. As I say memory is a bit fuzzy on which one they did test, although I do recall it was tested past its official rating.

I've yet to see a bad comment about the kit from Aplkit, and you rarely see it up for second sales etc even on ebay and the likes. The biggest thing that people sometimes say is the bags whether or not they are sleeping bags or their bivi bags is the amount of wriggle space in them, they are quite neat. They do this on purpose, less room means less air your body has to heat up before feeling the benefits, and of course makes them less costly to produce. The main reason I like the idea of using them is weight. I'm not an ultralight weight kit junkie, I just don't want to carry more than I have to. That simple really. A few pounds saved on my kit as long as it doesn't reduce kit performace or my comfort is a worth a few extra pounds comming out of my wallet. Alpkits kit seems to echo this thought.

I use a silk bag liner in my rather poor Gelert which claims to be comfortable down to -5. Although the common defination of comfortable is fulled clothed, I have never been out in condidtions that cold with it and have been very uncomfortable. The liner does help a lot, a lot more than I'd have thought it would.

So although I haven't got one, I have to say I consider them to be highly regarded by those that do have them. Of course there are many other people who have their favourite bags too. However, to sumerise your points, for going out in the summer you'll find nothing wrong with the Aplkit bags ( perhaps too warm for normal summers here ) other than a potential size issue. They are quite light for the amount of warmth they rate for. Other than that I'm not sure what else I can say about them, other than repeat what I've read else where.

Nag.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I have the Alpkit bivi bag and Slim Airic already, so can confirm that the bivi is a little on the slim side. I also rate their stuff very highly aswell, but have you seen the size of a compressed Merlin 3!

If their temps really are underrated then perhaps the SkyeHigh 400 might just do the job - and with a slik liner aswell might be a winner for me.

thanks for the reply Nagual.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE