New sheath, getting some practice in. I call it Spiral!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

It has been a long while since i have done any leather work but with a new "sheath-less" knife en route I decided to pull my finger out and get in a practice sheath first. I also have 3 others to make and 3 bow handles that are long over due.
The previous sheath for this knife was a bit of a mockup to see how I liked horizontal carry and also a cross-draw affair. The old sheath finally gave up last time i was out so a perfect opportunity to get back into a little sewing and rather tahn fix the old one i would improve the design and make a new one. I had completely forgot how therapeutic leather work was :approve:

This design can be carried horizontal, vertical and cross draw on each side, basically how ever you want. I am not finished with the design yet i may yet make the spiral out of one length of leather, maybe i will pop a few stitches in the top of the loops, no idea yet,,,, Anyways i call it spiral. :)
P2180009.jpg

P2180004.jpg

P2180007.jpg

P2180003.jpg

P2180012.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks g4ghb, i wonder if the single strap would work, maybe passing through a hole at the bottom of the sheath so it would move freely, hmmm dunnno.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
A hole would work, you may need to make the welt a little longer to accommodate it though. Initally I thought it went in a spiral but I think your solution is neater plus you have a backup if one set of stitching fails for some reason.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A hole would work, you may need to make the welt a little longer to accommodate it though. Initally I thought it went in a spiral but I think your solution is neater plus you have a backup if one set of stitching fails for some reason.

Good point of the stitches failing.... The cross carry works well if you just use the one loop and due to the angle it presents its self pretty well and is comfy.I didn't exactly take my time with this one but i will make a neater one next.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I wouldn't loose any sleep regarding stitches failing..... most sheaths only have a single loop after all!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wouldn't loose any sleep regarding stitches failing..... most sheaths only have a single loop after all!

Of-course, didn't think about it like that.
I do tend to double stitch everything anyways and not had awt fail yet. I will be trying this again for my new Rob Evs bush tool so ill post it when its done. I think same again just neater. I do like the flat looking sheathes that are for horizontal carry but with the loops being vertical they start getting huge. Well its all experimenting :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Few bad pictures of the black version for my Rob bushtool, which is a stunning knife by the way (review to come soon)
Went for a wet form on this one as the bushtool is a lot more evenly shaped so it gets a better grip. I used this sheath on a weenend out recently and it performed well. I mostly used it cross draw or upside down on my right side and horizontal carry behind my back. The options with this type of sheath are many.I will post some pics of how it rides the belt if anyones thinking of making a similar one.
P2230008.jpg

P2230007.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE