"New" sewing machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Fed up with my modern sewing machine that keeps losing timing - presumably due to the plastic gears - I have been after something stronger for a while. Plenty of industrial ones around but then found a Singer 201K on Shpock for £25 so thought it was worth a gamble. Bloke delivered it too (for £1!).

It's in a cabinet (folds out) and although it has the original treadle and flywheel, it's got an electric motor which is switched by the treadle. Wiring was a bit dodgy but with a bit of heatshrink and crimp terminals it's now secure.

Plan is to ditch the tiny motor and rig it up to an industrial sewing machine motor that's currently on my blind stitcher - should be fairly straightforward - or is this likely to be too much for a domestic machine, even though it's undoubtedly better made than the modern stuff?

Want to be able to stitch light canvas and possibly some thin leather

singer_201k.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I didn't actually realise how popular these machines were - fantastic (and feeling a bit guilty for getting it so cheap)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Plan is to ditch the tiny motor and rig it up to an industrial sewing machine motor that's currently on my blind stitcher - should be fairly straightforward - or is this likely to be too much for a domestic machine, even though it's undoubtedly better made than the modern stuff?

Rather than canabalise your industrial machine do this incredibly simple mod instead. £35 for everything is a real bargain for the improvement you'll get.

I didn't actually realise how popular these machines were - fantastic (and feeling a bit guilty for getting it so cheap)

Don't feel guilty... the cabinet versions always go cheaper because people want the cased models which can be put away when not in use.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Good video. Using my industrial motor wouldn't actually damage anything - it's only a case of using the belt on a different machine. Went through a spate of buying industrial sewing machines by accident and recently got my Singer 460/13 overlocker working - it's capable of 6,500 stitches per minute, which is a bit frightening! It has a 1/2hp motor - same as my lathe... :D - that's 372W - who needs a 90W motor?

Good to see plenty of people sewing leather with the 201 - I'm off to the workshop now to thread it and give it a whirl (if I can find something to actually get the oil in - think I have a syringe upstairs). Fortunately I bought 20,000 yards of thread this week so have plenty to practice with!

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
they are pretty bomb proof, an impressive piece of engineering I have a couple myself

20150731_121759.jpg
Fed up with my modern sewing machine that keeps losing timing - presumably due to the plastic gears - I have been after something stronger for a while. Plenty of industrial ones around but then found a Singer 201K on Shpock for £25 so thought it was worth a gamble. Bloke delivered it too (for £1!).

It's in a cabinet (folds out) and although it has the original treadle and flywheel, it's got an electric motor which is switched by the treadle. Wiring was a bit dodgy but with a bit of heatshrink and crimp terminals it's now secure.

singer_201k.jpg
http://creffield.com/pics/bushcraft/singer_201k.jpg [/IMG]

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you're planning on doing your own clothes then keep an eye out for the buttonholer attachment for it.

They do come up much cheaper than that one, I just linked it as that's the best model for the 201k. I snagged mine for £15 inc p&p and it came with the extra templates as well but it took over a couple years of searching for a good priced version but it's going to be worth it :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks all. Just been having a play with it and pleased to report that it does work! It's missing the lower thread pin which I'll need for threading new bobbins but it doesn't look like a difficult part to make (think it's threaded rather than hammer in) and not terribly critical. On the motor it's with it's really, really slow. Nice and controlled, which is good, but would be better to have a bit more speed and power in hand for when I need it, but as discussed above, there are options available.

It has a standard needle in it and had no difficulty in stitching two layers of 2mm veg tan (although the motor didn't cope so I had to turn the wheel by hand - not sure if the foot treadle would be any better but good to know that I might be able to use it in a power cut/EOTWAWKI :D). Made a little pouch from some of the masses of plastic coated leather I acquired a few years ago - again, the motor wasn't up to the job and I had to help it a bit by hand but maybe with a bit of use the new oil will get round properly and free things up a bit as it did seem to stick a couple of times.

Sewing the canvas I have was no problem and the tent Nylon I tried too was effortless. It's exactly what I wanted - something to sew a basic straight stitch. Used it to sew some material I've just bought and then overlocked the seam afterwards - having it already stitched together makes things somewhat easier (as it's way too fast to use pins) so now I have another useless little bag to add to the collection :D

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have an old singer hand sewing machine and I love it. Power cuts are no problem I can keep going at least in daylight. It only does a straight stich but I'm on the lookout for a button hole foot and other attachments to give me greater flexibility . Do you know if they do one to enable a zig zag stitch?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My serial number is EF527736 which proves it is a 201K from 1949 (in an allotment of 65,000 so not terribly rare!)
It came with parts:
121632 - universal needle threader
120842 - 5/64 foot hemmer
35931 - adjustable hemmer
121547 - underbraider
35932 - quilting foot
121464 - binder foot
121441 - gathering/shirring foot (what is shirring?)
Something else which I was hoping was a zigzagger as it's got the same sort of crank, but it doesn't seem to move from side to side

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Shirring as I understand is using elastic to gather a piece of material. You can buy Shirring elastic from any haberdashery . I've never had cause to use it hand sewing let alone on a machine. Tho I do use Shirring elastic when knitting the cuff on a sock.helps them stay up. It's like a thin elastic thread.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Something else which I was hoping was a zigzagger as it's got the same sort of crank, but it doesn't seem to move from side to side

None of the early Singers had the zigzag feature. I believe it wasn't until the late 60's that they started making machines that had it.

Instead their clever engineers made a seperate attachment like the buttonholer to overcome the problem :)

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Think it's something for added a ruffled ribbon to the fabric, not something I can think of an immediate use for.
Anyway, tried edging some cotton with grosgrain using the binder foot which looked pretty good. Also sewed some seatbelt to see if I could and I can! Might finally get around to sewing the zip onto my lavuu...

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
You might already know about this place but if you need stuff for your 201 you can get most parts from Helen Howes. Her business is in Norfolk she has a website and does mail order.Helen is extremely knowledgable and very helpful. Well worth a look in her site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE