New project leather bushy (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
At the risk of sounding pedantic, how can that be Micarta? It's leather impregnated with epoxy resin. Micarta is a registered trade name of a tough, strong, electrical insulating material devised by the Westinghouse Corporation.

Burnt Ash

same as vacume cleaner and "get the Hoover out love"

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The first idea was to put all the gubbins on the sheath, but when the knife arrived I thought it so light that it would be a shame to have all that weight swinging against your leg.

Separating them seemed the obvious solution and the length of dangler allows the knife to sit in your pocket without wearing through.

I really liked the handle, it was very comfortable and grippy - I thought it worked just as well as a stacked leather in that respect. The idea of putting it on the belt loop never occured to me. Great idea and I'm glad you are happy with it all.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
same as vacume cleaner and "get the Hoover out love"

Oh, right, so nearly all my fishing rods are 'Micarta' then? And a few of the boats I've owned? And the repairs I've made to various odd dings in my motor cars over the years? All done with/in Micarta? Not convinced, sport.
Micarta is not a synonym for anything dunked in epoxy resin. Anyway, the original Micarta used phenolic resin, if my memory serves.

Burnt Ash

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
obviously a subject close to your heart!

Please feel free to call it what you like

i shall call it 'Pigcarta', and i'm very interested in the process - i have a load of 2mm brown leather, and the thought of making handle scales occured to me after seeing the diy tutorial on BB.
looking elsewhere on BB, some concerns were that the leather would not soak up the resin properly, leaving dry bits within the leather, but i'm guessing you didn't have this problem?
any further info you could give would be great!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE