New project leather bushy (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Been working on a new knife on and off for ages!!

Bought a blade off rapidboy a few months back and had it sat about whilst I could figure out a plan for it!

Anyway I was browsing through some old threads over on BB and came across a few on DIY Micarta hadles, then it stuck me! leather micarta!

The micarta slabs are made by layering green and veg tan leather soaked in epoxy resin and compressing until set, once dry the slabs are treated in much the same way as wooden slabs.

Anyway here s a pic of the knife with slabs on and shaped (Not polished)

01-3.jpg

at this point I began to think about a sheath, I new I did not have the time to make one so, I looked at having one made (I have a sheath for my Mora made by Dougster which is a bloomin first rate bit of kit) so he was my obvious choice!

I wanted a fire steel holder and pouch for a DC3 on the sheath. and gave this brief to Dougster and after much toing and froing via pm basically gave him the freedom to choose the best design for the knife........................................ so off it whent!!

And what I got back (With many pm's inbetween) was this

03-3.jpg

A dangler sheath with seperate sharpener anf fire steel holder

(Close up of the fire steel holder)

04-3.jpg

The quality of the workmanship is first rate and the fit on the knife and sharpener is excelent!

So back to the knife to polish the handle (2500 grit) and sharpen her up

02-3.jpg

Here is all the kit together

05-3.jpg

And tucked away

06-2.jpg

Here are few more pics of the sheath and deatil of the Leather micarta....

Back of the Sheath
07-3.jpg

End grain of the Micarta
08-3.jpg

The new sheath with my old one from dougster
09-2.jpg

Close up of the top of the micarta
11-2.jpg

I am gonna give this kit a real drilling over the next few weeks but one thing I am considering is attacing pouch to sheath on the dangler via a removable method yet to be decided!

Configuration of the proposed attachment
10-4.jpg

Comments from Dougster on the leather micarta (Though I am sure he will add to this at some point)

Light weigh for what it is
Maintains grip
possibility of the handle de-laminatin

Cheers for looking

Comments please

Pignut

Jan 9, 2008
Ireland
I like the look of the leather micarta, very classy. Pouch for the sharpening stone and fire steel is a pretty cool idea too.
All together it's a beautiful set.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Ive tried a similar thing to leather micarta but withought soaking the leather in epoxy (just glueing the leather together) didnt experience handle delamination but mine looked rubbish so it was a scrapped idea. You have made it look excellent though! (i tried dying mine)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Very nice Pignut,
the micarta looks fantastic.
As for joining the two together, give it a try, but I think there is merit in having them seperate on a belt so they balance on the body.

ATB

Ogri the trog

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
When you say join the two together, I assume you mean the firesteel/stone pouch and the knife sheath?

In one shot it looked like you have the stone sheath on the dangler loop if the size is ok a simple leather loop to go through the 2 belt loops should work a treat. :rolleyes:

Love the handle btw, I just might have to have a go at that - I have some odd coloured leather somewhere..... :rolleyes: pink and black hmmmmmm ......

Oh yes - good work Rich! ;)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Was looking at joining the steel holder to the dangler loop of the sheath in a "Detachable Way"

The leather loop sounds the best idea so far

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I can visualise it but not think how to describe it.....

what sort of fastners do you have available? - I can think of a way for a sam brown stud and also a popper - think a popper would be neater though ;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
right - essentially all you need to do is make a small poppered loop like a small wrist band / scout woggle. If you cut the leather strap the right length the popper should sit nicely inside the dangler loop of the sheath if you see what I mean.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
were did you find the micarta tutorial? I would like a link bieng that Ive never been on british blades (if that is what bb stands for)
I love the color though!!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Here are the mods the the sheath, This is in no way a comment of the quality of Dougsters work it is exceptional, it is a modification of what I asked for!

Firstly two poppers through the Dangler section

mod01.jpg

Does not detract to badly from the sleakness of the sheath

mod02.jpg

Then 2 to the belt loop of the stone holder

mod03.jpg

Pressed together (Remarkably secure, though A loop could be addedround both)

mod04.jpg

On the hip, this rig does not take any more room then both worn seperatly, and seems to cling to te hip well, I was a little concerned over how far the knife hung down my leg, though after 2 days of constantly having it there it is superb and very comfey!

mod05.jpg

As always comments please!

Regards

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
A brilliant solution mate! - even better that the idea we discussed!

top marks for simplicity and function! :D

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
At the risk of sounding pedantic, how can that be Micarta? It's leather impregnated with epoxy resin. Micarta is a registered trade name of a tough, strong, electrical insulating material devised by the Westinghouse Corporation.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE