New post shelf life...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
OK heres something that has happened to me a few times and has started to niggle me.

Having spent the week on Dartmoor i arrived home and found I had a great deal of catching up to do on unread threads. (78 unread threads !! you lot have beeen busy) I have a habit of reading each thread through from begining to end then clicking the new posts. However after reading maybe a dozen threads all of a sudden all the posts dissapear ? Well ok they dont dissapear but they do all show as being read.

Am I missing something (it wont be the first time) or am i being a little too obsessive about likeing to see what i havent read in bold type ? For me at the very least it would be nice for the titles of the threads i havent read to stay bold till id caught up with them.

Not a crisis just a thought really

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I'm guessing that after spending a little time reading some of the threads, you're re-clicking on the 'New Posts' button. That will then display the new posts since you last clicked (I think there's a threshold of 10 mins or so). What you could do is click on new posts, and leave that window open. On my browser I can open up the links from that window in a new tab, read it, close the tab and then choose the next link from the original list (If you haven't got it already, you might want to try Firefox).

Another option is also to subscribe to the threads by RSS.

Hope that makes sense!

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
yup that all makes sense,

Im finding thats what i need to do reaally im just a little retentive about things like that. As for rss i have it but its not much use for catching up if ive been out for a week.

Thanks for the advice

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
There is the option of signing out and new posts changes to last 24 hours, I have done this a few times if I have cleared everything.
On another forum I read, the new posts has two lots of unread posts, those unread and new since your last visit I find this useful as sometimes I can take time to go through stuff and other times it is a flying visit and on here I think I miss a lot of posts.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
i use ie and often use the 'shift click' option to open the link in a new window - perhaps this will help!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
If you use Firefox, then when you see the 100 new posts, open the interesting ones in new tabs (in the background), then once you've tabbed all the interesting ones, you can then scroll through them to read each of the threads in turn.

Does that make any sense at all? ;)

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Many thanks for the replies, ive resorted to using atbs in firefox, a little messy for my liking but close enough. Im off for 2 nights in the brecons now so ill put it to the test when i return.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE