New personal bowdrill record!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi All,
just got back from a three day trip where I created an ember in 15 seconds, a new record for me. Admittedly the spindle was already warm, but it was a newly made hole in the hearth board.

I'm very pleased :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:You_Rock_cool, my best is about 30 secs I've been doing it years!

there is however a youtube video of someone doing it in 7!

I hated it when I found that out, best thing is, remember your set up, write it down, which wood, what sort of bow(big/small, tight/loose), how long was the drill, what sort of cord, etc etc. sounds like you have the winning formula!

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Thanks all! I used xanthorrhoea, the easiest wood in Australia for fire by friction. I've tried numerous others. Many produce plenty of powder but will not reach ignition point even after many minutes of drilling.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
My current record is 0 seconds, because I've never tried! No wood here I can chop to make a set. I do have one piece of woodland that I might get permission to bimble in though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE