New (old) rucksack and some kit pics (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
As much as I love my modified swedish army M39 the capacity isn't great and side pockets would be a bonus. After a few weeks watching ebay I managed to find a vintage rucksack that caught my eye. It arrived earlier in the week and was in reasonable condition first impression was, "this thing seems like it would hold a lot of kit" so while SWMBO was out I thought I'd see what I could fit into it.

while I was at it I thought I'd get the DSLR out and take some decent(ish) pics of my kit (I always like kit posts :))

T6PS6dP.jpg
[/IMG]
fire kit in a sami style pouch

Bh9Sm9Y.jpg

Brass hudson bay tin (I LOVE this, so tactile! and developing a nice patina), flint and steel, candle and ferro rod

0XesnS5.jpg
[/IMG]
cutty choppy slicey kit

NFeR7PV.jpg

GI poncho and stakes, wet weather gear, hammock and lines, drybag for socks, pants etc. (not pictured 2 season snugpack)

xhpbvqD.jpg

cook kit - ally billy, redbull can stove, SS mug, pot cosy, windscreen and pot lid made out of a turkey roasting tray. 15ml bottles of meths (enough to make a cuppa) and a 100ml spare bottle. Ti spork.

ZmaL39X.jpg

all packed up for storage in bag.

pOvJidP.jpg

FAK, compass, cordage, Misc... etc

zAPEjuN.jpg

pocket inside the lid for waterproofs,

o5ZFUDK.jpg

suspension system....leather straps and metal buckles...retro-tastic

j0COrfs.jpg

side pockets are big enough for a 1lt nalgene. Front pocket larger than it looks.

pXSCK9A.jpg

You cant have a retro rucksack withou a wool blanket - "Kenwood" canadian virgin wool from charity shop...£3 . you can also see the side loops for hanging more bits of kit on.

HA14L2I.jpg

When on it fits nicely and still has more room to fill! the buckles low down on the back mean you can close the bag tightly even when its only half full, this means it doesn't sag as much as some other canvas bags, I'm looking at you M39!

although it sits high on your back (no hip belt on this bad boy) its quite comfortable, more than the aforementioned M39, the straps don't dig in and cut your circulation off or make your hands swell up like two balloons (pink floyd refrerence anyone?). All in all not bad for £13 posted and £200 cheaper than a frost river.

Next step a good waxing and maybe a nice leather "under the stars patch"...

Sausage (AKA Dave)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice looking gear :). Good mix of modern and traditional kit.

The pack looks good reminds me of the M39 but with pockets. Any ideas of what it is?

Is that a Svord knife you have in your cutty slicey kit?

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
no idea what the pack is, no labels or markings to be found. Yes its a peasant mini that i made a neck sheath for. the pocket knife is one I got at the weekend from a boot sale for 50p, blade says "richards sheffield". both are under 3 inch so should be legal edc.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nicely done, the neck sheath looks really good. Always fancied one of those Hudson Bay tinder boxes too.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great stuff mate! I love vintage kit!

I reckon I might stick some photos of my Boone set up for a planned trip soon ;).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I seem to remember seeing an oficers version of the m39 that had external pockets or maybe its a civvy version

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Every time I see this type of kit it just makes me want to dump my bergan... and get more vinatge kit...

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
this VKAD can be dealt with by application of canvas.

but it does not go away

FINALLY. The 'blame Sam' condition is officially recognised, or at least got its own acronym. We can only hope this is the first step to one day finding a cure.

:p

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124693832@N02/

Looks very like the Pattern 42 (P 42) Bergen or "Commando" bergen which was the standard UK army issue from 1942 to the early 1970s. I believe this was a copy by the WD of commercial rucksacks made by the Bergen company in Norway. Photos show it alongside a modern, 60 litre, internal frame backpack, and also compared with the USmilitary large ALICE pack which i believewasstandard issue from the 1960s on to maybe 1990s.

Cotton canvas, waterproofed inside with a sort of rubber coating. weighs a whopping 9 lbs (4 kilograms) so I don't use it on long mountain hikes (my 20 llitre daypack weighs 235 gramsempty)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE