New member first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
I have just finished my first knife I made it from a file but worked on it hard ie I did not temper it to make the holes I used a Dremel and a lot of tips it took 24 hrs, what do you think. I would like constructive criticism. Thanks

Attachments

• Knife.jpg
    Knife.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
That's not too bad that , your second and third knife will be better and you'll be able to see your improvements.
Would be far easier next time to anneal the metal first though then do your heat treatment.
Good work all the same.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Welcome to the forum. That looks VERY similar to my first knife! Very good. Keep going though, each one will be better than the last as mentioned already. It's an addictive hobby. Leatherwork's next for a sheath now, it's a slippery slope...

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
looks superb for a first effort mate, i'm currently in the proccess of making my first "recycled" knife from an old file and i'll be more than happy if it turns out looking that good. well done.

stuart

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
That looks fantastic fella keep at it buddy;) and like Richie66 said its far better to anneal the metal first:) I have this one i sill have to finish just need to put the handle on ;)

fileknife039.jpg

fileknife035.jpg

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
That looks great, looks very like the horse file I bought yesterday knife no 2. I was going to try an experiment with this one welding spots on the handle to soften it in spots only than drill

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
Oh , I just remembered if you proceed as is with the knife you'll need to temper it in the oven.
220 celcius for one hour. Do this so if you drop it it won't shatter(basically it softens the steel a wee bit which is what you want).
You can get drill bit that will drill holes through the file though.....cobalt drill bits I think. That's what I now use as they are very good bits. Not too expensive either if you select just a few sizes.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
Thanks for the tip on the oven I'll do to the next knife too late for this one. The handle is made from a Chestnut burr with a Indian Rosewood dye
Someone is making the sheath for me I don't know anything about leather yet.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Wow, that's really impressive for a first. You've got a great head start! Handle is well-shaped, finished, and comfortable looking. Blade bevel looks good. Looking forward to seeing the second...

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
thanks its great to talk to people about knifes, most just give you funny looks when you say your making knifes, my head start was the last 15 yrs spent wood turning and 30 yrs ago I served my time as a toolmaker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE