New Knife wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I would like to buy a new knife to use alongside my Puukko and Mora. It has to be no more than £35 and can be bought in this country. I do not mind about the steel. It must be one that can be used as an allrounder. What are you suggestions???

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
What about a folder like a Swiss Army Knife? They are very versatile and handy both outdoors and in!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Sorry I forgot to mention that I would like it fixed blade. I've been wanting to get a SAK for a while but I won't be using it for what I want this new knife to be for as I don't think that it is suited.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You wont get much worth having for £35. If I were you, I'd save up till you have £60 and get a BRK&T NorthStar. You have a puuko and a mora, there is not really anything else worth recommending in your price range.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi Scott...

I can highly recommend my knife, but it is only sharpened 10 degrees, which may seem as little. But the handle is like it was forged to ones hand! :) It costed me 35 exactly.

Off course the knife you showed me looked good. The puukku.
I would go for a carbon one. :wink:

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I have just been in the same possition, i looked at buying a fallkniven blade, fitting the scales, making a sheath, but in the end i decided it would all be too much hassle (for now anyway) and went for the F1, I am very pleased with it... I got the one with the green Micarta handle which made it more expensive, but the standard hndle variant is quite a bit cheaper i think....

G:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
CRKT Stiff Kiss is cheap as chips at around £15

at that price ya can abuse it to hell and back and get another it it fails. though it is a tough knife realy and shouldn't fare too badly

kydex sheath for wearing on your belt or round your neck

Tant

ebay or my favourite knife dealer for best prices

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Thanks for the offer andy but I'd like to keep it for now and I'm sure you wouldn't want it from what I've put it through

------------

I'm torn about whether to save some more money up to get this North Star you suggested or one of the Bark River Knives Or get one of stuarts more expensive knives OR whether to spend my money on a basha and guylines OR new (and needed) billy cans ORRRR a SAK

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi Scott...

When I have some money and want to buy new kit, I always ask myself the advantages /disadvantages about this piece of kit. Ask yourself if you really need it. Ask yourself what you need and why? Is this essential for my bushcraft? I always do this... :wink: Works fine so far... :biggthump

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I already have 3 knives
I already have a shelter of some kind
I Don't have any servicable billycans
I Don't have a multipurpose tool to use if i need to open a can or unscrew somthing etc.

I have therefore deduced that I need some Billycans and a Swiss Army Knife!!! I shall get those and then start saving for a new knive.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I was going to buy the billycans from the survival school shop but since there integrity has since come under scrutiny I am wary. Has anybody bought from there before and if so then what was there service like? especially would like to know if you bought there billy cans and what your opinions of them are ( the simple wire handle ones, not the zebras)

leon-1

Scott, I have bought from them before and the service was very good, don't know about the billie cans though.

I would also say shop around a bit, you may be able to get them cheaper as they are not the cheapest place to buy from. I would re-iterate that the service was good, one of the bits of kit had to be bought in and I was kept informed as to what was happening with my order all the time. :)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you don't need to get a second for some of the models. Though the larger ones are a bit over but then again if your young you might want a smaller kukri anyway

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=475&item=2262149617&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=475&item=2262151069&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

a little larger one is (I have the origonal one from 1919 and like it)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=475&item=2262152138&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Young Bushman,

save yourself some cash and take a visit to Poundstrechers or TK Max. Look at their kitchen section and I'm sure you will find decent Stainless Steel containers with lids. With a little modification you should be able to get a set of billies for between £5 - £10.
I currently use a SS tea caddy and a SS biscuit barrel as billies with a SS cutlery drainer for a stove with either my Trangia burner or sticks for fuel.
Makes a great wee set that all fits nicely together all for £6.50 (trangia burner not included as I already owned it).

Get yourself either a leatherman or SAK with pliers and a saw, it would be a perfect match for your knives and you should now have every tool you could need.

Cheers

JFW

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I think now I'm going to wait till christmas and ask for a Svord Drop Point from Bearclaw. They look very good and even better they come with a Convex grind which i prefer. :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Young Bushman said:
I was going to buy the billycans from the survival school shop but since there integrity has since come under scrutiny I am wary. Has anybody bought from there before and if so then what was there service like? especially would like to know if you bought there billy cans and what your opinions of them are ( the simple wire handle ones, not the zebras)

i have not commented in the threads in which the Survival School have come under such scrutiny.. but i must say i think it rather harsh.. i have orders two billy cans from trek direct who are the exact same people as survival school they both arrived before they were due with out a hitch! i would not hesitate to order from them again!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE