New knife finished

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
So today I have finished a knife project that I ha on the go.

It started off its life as a quirky fish knife that I posted in the GIO thread.

I decided the blade needed a new handle so set about it.

bcde92b1-de50-60d4.jpg

The knife as it was next to a piece of dymondwood.

I firstly had to remove the holding pin and then remove the blade from its original handle.

bcde92b1-ded5-1ed7.jpg

The blade next to the dymondwood

Next step was to mark the dymondwood and route out the blade channel and recess.

bcde92b1-df2c-e0b3.jpg

Blade recess and a nice pair of slippers

bcde92b1-df4e-1215.jpg

The blade sat in its new handle material

Te next step was to do a rough cut of the handle to get the right proportions.

bcde92b1-dfc8-f26e.jpg

My makeshift work table in the garden

The handle blade was then secured with rapid set resin and a brass pin into the pre cut recess giving me this.
bcde92b1-dfef-f08a.jpg

Finally it was onto a final sanding of the dymondwood to get the edges contoured and rounded and then 2 coats d vegetable oil and a buffing and this is the final result.

bcde92b1-e095-64f0.jpg

bcde92b1-e0a1-4ecd.jpg

I also appreciate that the handle is not perfectly symmetrical but I like it that way. The blade is stainless and needs a new edge on it by I like the fact it's got a smooth edge, a serrated edge and a bottle opener on it.

Also forgot to add that it balances almost perfectly around the holding pin which I am pleased about

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo....interesting blade and a solid job....not used dymonwood meself...and as long as it doesnt fall apart and you had fun and learned too then its all gravy....next project???

a

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Looks every bit the functional fisherman's knife, Good work! how are you gonna clothe it:)

I have still got the "fish head" half of the ruler it was in. My plan is to alter that and then wrap and stitch some tan leather around it making a wood inner, leather outer sheath.

Angst - my next project is a bowie knife. I have got a stainless blade blank which has an 8 1/4" blade and full tang, I've fitted a brass bolster and i'm waiting on some purple heart for the scales. once i've got all that it's just a case of crafting everything and getting it together really.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
groovy....pics of blank?

I have still got the "fish head" half of the ruler it was in. My plan is to alter that and then wrap and stitch some tan leather around it making a wood inner, leather outer sheath.

Angst - my next project is a bowie knife. I have got a stainless blade blank which has an 8 1/4" blade and full tang, I've fitted a brass bolster and i'm waiting on some purple heart for the scales. once i've got all that it's just a case of crafting everything and getting it together really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE