New kit confusion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Don't know about the boots. I have had good and bad luck with boots buying by mail order AND in shops where I got to try them on. You only really learn about them when you get them home and can wear them for some hours. If the place you buy from has a good return policy, go ahead, but make the purchase knowing you might send them back. With boots it seems that that is simply the price of trying new models/brands.

Trousers. I tried Fjallraven on in a store in Sweden and nothing fitted me properly. I have lost some weight since then, but they all seemed aimed at tall slender Swedes. I have heard they are well made and if you are the right shape they can look good too, which is nice if your travels bring you through towns. In general I no longer like to buy trousers without having tried them on. Experience with Rohan, Colombia, Northface and Helikontex has been that it is very much worth while to try stuff before buying. If you can't, then the same thing about return policy applies as for boots. I really like the Helikon UTPs and now don't feel the need for Fjallraven.

For years I have used Craghopper Kiwi trousers for expeditions. I think they are fantastic trousers, especially if you can find some on sale such as at TK Max. Very tough, fast drying, light, enough room to wear insulation under them, good pockets with zippers. The only think I don't like, now that I have tried other trousers, is that they do look a bit like clown pants, very wide in the leg. Far from flattering when you appear in photos of the trip.

Socks. I have tried something that I think were Smart Wool, but like the Icebreaker 100% merrino better than anything else I have tried. Not so durable, but my feet stay drier when there isn't Coolmax in the mix. I use liner socks some times, and over-socks at others, but the Lite Hiker Icebreakers are No1 favourites.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Hi

No mention at all here about Paramo make trousers. Made in Columbia. Check them out, I think you will find you like them. I do-very much.
Oh and by the way mate, if you like good solid proper socks then look no further than Bridgedale in all their varieties, not cheapo but oh so goodo.
cheers

Tom.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE