New homemade hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Heres one that I made up last week....out of a settee!

The leather was quite floppy and I had intended to reverse it so as to show the rough side.
But it soon became clear that I couldn,t wet mould it and would only get the shape I was after, if I stiffened the whole thing with the hot wax dip...and doing this, I lost the suedey look.

DSCF2356.jpg

Still I,m pleased with it, its waterproof, light and you can bounce rocks off it!

This one took , in all, 6 hrs to make.

Many thanks to Bushyboo for the gift of the material.....Cheers Big G:You_Rock_
(RNLI is a little better off)

I think the most important thing I learned, was to cut the sidestrip (coving) in a kind of very shallow V-shape...almost like a boomerang. That strimmer flex will do a good job of edging the brim. And, not to be worried about the final shape until all the stitches have been laid in.

So, swanning around in it, with mental images of wide verandas, Mint Juleps, fly whisks and the cast of "Gone with the Wind", it irks a bit to be told by the Missis that I look like an ice cream man!.......don't you just love the little Darlin's, eh?

Thanks for looking

Ceeg

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
That looks fantastic. That is something I would really like to have a go at trying. Is there any chance of showing a basic shape pattern, sizes would obviously need to be adjusted, but a basic shape would give me something to start with.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Exellent work Ceeg your becoming a hat master. Top work.

Simon.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
That looks fantastic. That is something I would really like to have a go at trying. Is there any chance of showing a basic shape pattern, sizes would obviously need to be adjusted, but a basic shape would give me something to start with.

All I did, was this:
Get your head size with a tailors tape and its easy to work a cut out into an ellipse drawn fullsize, in "Paint"......thats all.
And, to get the inward sloping sides (batter), just choose your angle and draw it in an arc shape , tangential to the angle. Even just a shallow V will do, as long as you knock off the apex.

I,ve found you can use for the crownpiece, the leftover coupon you take from the centre,when cutting out the brim.But dont cut it at the headshape, you need a margin of 3/8 to 3/4 inch , as an upstand that you sew to the coving.
The smaller the upstand, the better your chances of making a completely wrinkle free brim.
But , if it does wrinkle, (and it sure will, even to sewing tension, so, be light handed with that bit and use plenty of vsmall stitches)...if it does, then you can do as I did here and chop through the brim at the stern a, and remove a small triangular fillet ...that'll fix it!

The brim shape, is just a tangential projection from your head shape template.

Ceeg

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Three house bricks? Why would you do such a thing?

Thats brilliant, wear it with pride. Ever day and in all weathers by the sound of it.

Have you played with plaits of an even number of strands? With the band on your hat you could get two colours in even numbers of strands. Two colour, six strand Turk's head Woggle:

yellowblackwoggle.jpg

and a three colour, six strand Turk's head ring (yellow, white and red gold):

3golds6strand.jpg

In odd number plaits strand 1 always passes over strand 2, 2 over 3 and 3 over 1.
Even numbers the strands alternate, so 1 over 2 then under, then over.

No criticism intended, just a did you know, really. Fantastic job and respect for cutting all the strips with scissors (you Loon!).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE