New handle for a Gerber Compact Parang

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Looking good, so much nicer and mature than the original glaring sponsored tat.

Do you take commissions? - I'm not too far from you, and I'm sure we could work something out :)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Do you take commissions? - I'm not too far from you, and I'm sure we could work something out :)

NA he cant his not a Maker plus......

A nice job done, as has been said I would of put a couple of pins through the tang..

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yes he can - Coldfeet is approaching him, not the other way round. :)

Thats very true....he is aprproching him.....

But does it then beg the question he then becomes a Maker as it is for someone else, not even a Full member ...

Last edited:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
There is none stew they are knots I believe I've read through how he did the Handel and no mention of pins for extra strength or safety .
I may well be wrong ..

Well in that case he should start playing the lottery as he's done really well to find a bit of wood where the knot holes line up with the holes in the tang!! :D

I would like a share of the winnings as it was my suggestion!! :D

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Well in that case he should start playing the lottery as he's done really well to find a bit of wood where the knot holes line up with the holes in the tang!! :D

I would like a share of the winnings as it was my suggestion!! :D

Lol this is very true but he did not mention it in the build .and to the likes of us minions the pins in the Handel was the first thing I looked for

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Very good bit of carving there. I like that you didn't just throw some slabs on and call it done.

Epoxy can be very strong, but if you don't mix it right or cure it properly, it can fail. While pins have been recommended, I would have opted for something like a Corby bolt to provide a positive joint between wood and metal.

The upside, though, is that should the epoxy ever fail, it's small potatoes to install a pin and do it again.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
This has inspired me to work on a old knife - back in the 1960's while on a school trip to Switzerland I bought a sheath knife with alloy sheath and the Swiss flag in a diamond in the middle of black plastic plates. The blade was always good and the knife with its heavy blade got a lot of hammer and the black plastic replaced with wood years ago.. It has suffered over the years, I am pleased it is not a genuine recycled Hitler Youth knife [not sure I would feel good about that]. Everything still works, although the chrome pretty shot- but I guess I have a couple of option

1- just clean it up as is
2- full strip down and restore chrome
3 - keep blade and completely replace all handle

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
well the handle has been removed from mine, not hard seeing as it was just 2 screws holding it in place, I have some cherry wood that will fit nicely so let the fun begin

Falcn

Mar 1, 2013
Dinnington

Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately I can't take commissions, I'm laid up with a bad back at the moment and probably only get about 15 mins at a time to play in the shed. I've got loads of little projects which need sorting. Sorry.

It's actually really easy to do. A saw, chisel, rasp and some sandpaper would just about do it at a push. I used a bandsaw, a belt sander, a router and a sanding drum but that just cut down the time not the technique.

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
Using Cherry wood and so far have cut to approx 10mm and will be longer than the original handle, already cut the recess on one for the tang, now need to order some pins and fit it all then shape, will get some pics of the bits so far shortly

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
20131217_160852.jpg20131217_160911.jpg20131217_160939.jpg20131217_161015.jpg

Have used the original bolts to save on money, and yes I know they are only a few £'s for the brass ones, but you will see what it looks like once I have finished, it is now clamped and waiting for the epoxy to dry so will check back tomorrow possibly with a bit of shaping to the handle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE