New handle for a Gerber Compact Parang

Falcn

Mar 1, 2013
Dinnington
A friend of mine bought himself a BG Compact Parang but couldn't bring himself to be seen with the bright orange and grey plastic handle. I made him a new one out of American Black Walnut. My first attempt at making a handle for sharps.

I made two cheek plates and routed in a slot for the tang, then epoxied the cheeks together. After shaping, carving and sanding the tang was epoxied into place. Finally a brass ferule was pressed in for the wrist loop hole.

So, a question to all the more experienced knife smiths out there - I'm sure I made a few blunders, what would you have done differently. I'm happy to learn from you. Shout up.

Comments welcome.

Parang1of2_zps846d07a7.jpg

Parang2of2_zps814dd384.jpg

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Looks mighty fine to me mate .
Maybe added a couple of pins through the tang and epoxied in place and a better lanyard .
But a dam fine job on the wood my friend

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Looks great mucker, but could the blade/tang work loose after a few good tree-beating sessions?

I assume that is why Trev has already recommended pins?

Definitely an improvement on the original anyway!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Another thought just popped into my head, why not do it with the knife to make them match?

Great work as I said before :).

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
Have you got any pics of it with the original handle removed? want to see what the tang looks like as keep thinking about doing the same with mine

Last edited:

Falcn

Mar 1, 2013
Dinnington
Thanks for the replies and constructive comments

Looks mighty fine to me mate .
Maybe added a couple of pins through the tang and epoxied in place and a better lanyard .
But a dam fine job on the wood my friend

Looks great mucker, but could the blade/tang work loose after a few good tree-beating sessions?

Of course - should have thought about the vibration and the tang working loose. I'll just have to make one for myself and do it properly now :rolleyes:

Another thought just popped into my head, why not do it with the knife to make them match?

One to ask Santa for then - like your thinking

Have you got any pics of it with the original handle removed? want to see what the tank looks like as keep thinking about doing the same with mine

Hope this helps

photo_zpsd1d7378c.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE