New Hammock Stand

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
I was looking at the Hammock Forum website recently and came across a slightly different type of hammock stand.

I wanted something I could just put up in my garden for the kids to use, as and when required. Also something that did not take up much space, was not dependent on land anchors and could be easily transported in my van.

Some of the sites I work out of have very few trees so the stand needed to be either free standing or be adaptable enough to be used with just one tree.

This is my prototype. Both sets of legs ready to erect.

DSC05674.jpg

One of the tripods ready.

DSC05675.jpg

I used an old Army tent pole as a connecting sleeve.

DSC05677.jpg

Takes my weight easily. I tested it with a few mates and it held up well.

DSC05682.jpg

I used Amsteel rope. The pole is connected to the tripod on some Amsteel and the hammock is attached directly to the pole. Only downward forces are applied to the tripod so no land anchors are required.

DSC05686.jpg

I place caps over the tripod tops so I can put a tarp over it. I have spent two nights in it and it works a treat.

DSC05687.jpg

This is only a prototype and plan to work on some variations.

Cheers

George

Last edited:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
I will get the dimensions this weekend Alan. Roughly the tripod poles are about 5 and a half foot and the cross beam must be between 7 or 8 foot. Never thought to measure it all out, just went with what the hammock required and that it fitted all in my van.

Cheers

George

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Cheers George
Look forward to the sizings. I've been struggling with various ideas (bipod, tripod and single pole versions for canoe tripping and back yard tinkering) for some time but have no practical ability to make in real life:)
regards
Alan

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Absolutely fantastic.

Is there any way it can be built without that cross bar?

That's what I was wondering ? Looks like its not needed if the angle of the tripods legs are set right ?

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Thanks folks.

The cross bar is effectivley the anchor. If you take it away all the horizontal froces applied to the rig when you get into the hammock will collapse it. The crossbar is not directly lashed to the tripod but dangles of loops of amsteel.

The legs are at a distance apart to give me the widest coverage but the maximum height (remember I am restricted by the size of my van).

My aim is to find a stronger but smaller/lighter crossbar. Possibly even collapsible tripod legs.

Cheers

George

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Excellent job mate. It will be good to see how you get on with the lighter cross bar.

Is it 2x1 your using??

Atb CRaig

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
That looks great George, I'm not short of trees here but that looks like its worth trying just for the sake of the project itself.

There are some weird physics going on with the set up, in that the tripods only need to cope with half the weight of the system plus your body weight, whereas the connecting pole has to resist the compression force of your weight pulling the ends inwards at an angle - I seem to recall someone doing a calculation where the horizontal force is in the region of 600kgs for the average person! I reckon the connecting bar will need to remain the strongest part of the creation.

Nice one!

Ogri the trog

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
You are right Pete.

I have tried a few crossbars and the only ones not to buckle have been the one in this shot and one using two army tent poles connected together.

I should have pics of this and will load one up.

On the Hammock Forum they have lots of different styles and I will try and find the link later (off to work now).

May try out scaffolding poles (heavy but stronger and maybe a smaller diameter).

Personally I just enjoy experimenting the designs.

Cheers

George

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
you mention anchors cos i dont like the idea of one with a ridgr bar due to using a wall bolt at one end so any ideas

Hi Drew

This was my first model made up of some Sycamore poles and Land Anchors (No crossbar required but a lot of rope required);

DSCF1095.jpg

I used 3 large spikes to take the strain and the tripod had a wide splay to it.

I also used a spike on the tripod as added security.

DSCF1097.jpg

This helped keep the tripod on the ground when I sat in the hammock.

The next design was a 'One Tree Hammock Stand'.

I used one tripod and two old army tent poles (connected together). This type does not require land anchors.

DSC04890.jpg

It was attached to the tree like this (free hanging)

DSC04894.jpg

When I built this it was a simple case to build another tripod and trim the tops so a tarp could be placed over it.

I hope that helps you decided which you decide to make? To be honest the crossbar does not bother me.

George

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
i see cool and are you bringing it to the moot george cos i could do with a look at this one in the flesh so to speek

also what nots have you used and what is the metal you have used to make both the tripods cos from here it looks like a gate hinge but i could be wrong

also what lenth is your ridge pole because dependent on that is the size of your tarp

and thanks for your help so far george

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
hmmm, I wonder instead of a crossbar you could use a rope on or near the floor. If the main beams are angled away from the hammock and pivot in such a way they pull a rope tied between the base of each pole tight.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE