New garden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
As part of ongoing restoration work I have a completely clear garden which I need to 'start again' with.

The only thing I've decided on is a bay tree which will be planted but was hoping to find someone who can help advise / design a garden which is not too difficult to maintain but which has an edible theme.

My attitude to gardening is pretty much that if a plant wants me to look after it then it needs to feed me (or provide something useful) otherwise it can fend for itself :D

I will put my herbs in pots and am quite happy with which ones I want - I'm really looking for suggestions on people who can help me with the planning and / or ideas for edible plants which will grow easily.

If it helps, the soil is typical East Anglian clay.

Any suggestions?

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
so not free draining, that could be limiting to what you can have. i am also re-planting a garden and have got quite a few edible things like a rowan tree, crab apple trees, eating apple tree, pear tree, strawberries and wild strawberries, potatoes, carrots, pumpkins (though im not eating them, they are edible) and blackberries. i think thats all...

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
We started with a blank sheet in our garden (ie mud and not much more) and got a design done. Frankly it was a bit of a waste of money, we let it evolve over time.

But remember: plan in somewhere to tie your hammock and tarp, and a firepit! Still wish I'd put those into mine...

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
how about nettles, dandelion, wild garlic, greater plantain, chickweed and spear thistle

blackberries for the fruit

all easy to grow, although dont think youll have much chance of changing plantin gin the future! :p

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Hazel - nuts, wildlife & wood. Takes care of itself so no bother. We have a red leafed variety which produces pink nuts!

Z

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
how about nettles, dandelion, wild garlic, greater plantain, chickweed and spear thistle

blackberries for the fruit

all easy to grow, although dont think youll have much chance of changing plantin gin the future! :p

There surely has to be some sort of nod to flavour in yer garden veg. Why grow these weeds in the garden when they are readily available - everywhere?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
willow could suck all of the water out of yer plot and make watering in the summer a nightmare.

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
If you dont want Cats there is a plant called the Scaredy cat flower which is very nice its proper name is coleus canina ornatus Its even blooms with a nice blue flower between july an september, on the other hand if you like cats just plant mint however id keep mint in a pot because the one we have in the half barrel on the front yard grows insane

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
If you dont want Cats there is a plant called the Scaredy cat flower which is very nice its proper name is coleus canina ornatus Its even blooms with a nice blue flower between july an september, on the other hand if you like cats just plant mint however id keep mint in a pot because the one we have in the half barrel on the front yard grows insane

That plant doesnt always work. Before my mother moved out she planted some because she didnt like cats. Then we got a cat and he just sprayed all over it, (I guess he was trying to mask the smell.) Then when we got our dog two years back he just ate all the flowers! :O Im wondering if he'll do the same when it flowers this year. :D

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Some herbs will do a lot better planted 'properly' instead of in pots - we've got a really nice rosemary bush which is now virtually indestructible, but when it was planted in a big pot, struggled to thrive. You're welcome to a chunk of it if you'd like some, nicest tasting rosemary I've found and it's really easy to root cuttings.

Zingmo's spot on with hazel - native hedging plant which produces, for my money, some of the best eating from a garden. We're putting a hedge in the front garden next year some time for precisely that reason. We've got tiny wild strawberries in there already, they grow in amongst other things quite happily so they don't take up a lot of space. They won't exactly feed you well, but the flavour is out of this World, keeps the small birds happy too. We found some wild raspberries last year - I'll be borrowing a few canes to transplant this year methinks.

Don't ignore the humble bramble either - they're a bit of a chore to keep in line, but not much more hassle than a rose or two. This year we cropped a carrier bag full of blackberries from the single briar in the back garden, Tom (aged 3) almost certainly ate another carrier bag full straight from the stems - enough for an entire years supply of muffins, jam and other treats. Try them straight from the freezer - sorbet without any processing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE