New From The U.S.

• Thread starter bluemountaingunworks
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bluemountaingunworks

Hello to all,
I have been recently searching the internet for information that focuses on real woodscraft using real tools rather than folks puffing up about the lastest and greatest name-brand gidget that solves all of the world's problems. There are way too many sites that hone-in on the brand and how it makes you look instead of the person using it and the enjoyment of being out in the first place. This quest frequently brought me to this site and to your posts. I must say that this is the kind of stuff I was looking for. So I have decided to join and will hopefully be able to strike up some conversations with the members here.
That being said, I should give you a little bio about myself. My name is Jerry Ward and I reside in Monticello, Utah, USA. Monticello is a small town of about 1200 people located in the Four Corners area of the U.S. It is also centrally located to some of the most beautiful, high-desert country in the world. Within an hours drive are Natural Bridges National Monument, Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park, Mesa Verde National Monument, and 100's of thousands of acres of public land. In fact, it was the U.S. Forest Service that brought me out here from my native home of Dixie. I was born in Georgia, spent awhile in North Carolina, and then migrated West to take a job as a Initial Attack Wildland Firefighter Supression Module Leader. That's just a long way of saying I led a forest fire firefighting crew on the Manti-LaSal National Forest. After four years chasing fires and being gone from my family the majority of the year, I finally surrendered to God's call and went into business for myself. I now own and operate Blue Mountain Gunworks. It is a small, one-man-show full service gunshop. It brings in a modest income and allows me to spend time doing what's important anyway; spending time with my family.
I have always been intrigued by woodscraft and the simplicity of living in the forest. My hobbies include collecting military firearms and military equipment; studying the "old" ways of doing things; Colonial, WWII, and Civil War history; trapping, hunting, and fishing; and generally anything that will bring me closer to our Creator.
Alot of my interests lie in British military clothing and equipment. I find some of the British kt to be heads and tails above it's U.S. counterpart. Take for example the U.S. M65 Field Jacket vs. the SAS Smock. Without going into detail here, the SAS Smock is in my opinion is the better piece of gear.
Anyway, I just thought I would take a minute to introduce myself. I look forward to talking to you soon. Thanks for your time and God Bless! Jerry

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Jerry and welcome to the forum. Sounds like some interesting experiences there in forest firefighting - I'd love to hear some stories when you have settled in.....pull up a log round the fire and join right in

British Red

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi Jerry welcome to the site,

Good to have you on board, you seem to have plenty of experience so i'm sure we will be calling on your expertise soon :)

See you in the forums, we'll chat soon i hope

Martin
(ArkAngel)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Welcome Jerry, it sounds like you live in a very nice part of the world with lots of oppertunity for getting out there in the wilds.. i hope you will jump right in and tell us about your trips out and generally get involved with the forum.

Cheers
TT

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Jerry,
Welcome aboard, seems you got the march on some of us here, way ahead in the "getting out there and doing it" phase.
Good to have you around our virtual fire.

ATB

Ogri the trog

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Ite (hello) mate, nice to meet you. Must be nice to have that oppertunity of a vast beautiful landscape that you have out there and the variety of it aswel. I went to Utah once, but only been to Salt Lake city - it was a shame I couldnt have seen more of small town America in that state, but we had a schedule to follow :( .

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
hi there most of us seem to use britsh army gear some's good n some's bad feel free to ask before you pay the postage!..karl ive been wearing bdu pants for years ya can't beat them or wear them out so i am saying not ours is better than yours just find what works for you the more you get in to bushcraft the less you need to carry so don't go mad

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Jerry and welcome to Bushcraft UK, it’s great to have you and thanks for such a great introduction.

You’re in a beautiful part of the world there, I’ve been to Some of Utah..Hurricane, Stayed in Zions park and Mount Carmel, Salt Lake for a night or two and a few other places….Not that fussed about the city but the countryside is lovely.

Make yourself at home, it sounds like you’ve got a lot you can share and we appreciate it. Any questions just ask, there’s always someone that can point in the right direction.

Enjoy

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
HI Jerry and welcome to bcuk i have often looked at taking a trip to your part of the world gals you like the place the natives here are very friendly so jump in and see you around :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE