New friction folder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I haven't made any knives for a while now, but I got back into it recently and just finished this one.

It's about 4" long, the cutting edge about 3", black steel liners, light coloured, polished cow horn scales, steel pins, copper washers and brass pivot. The blade was etched with vinegar and some dry garlic flakes. I am quite pleased with the way it all came out.

The pics are a little fuzzy, i got a new camera and I am trying to get used to the controls...:rolleyes:

DSCF0072-1.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very pretty indeed. I love the over all shape,,, just works for the design. Nice......!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Very nice folder there and I love the patina you achieved with the vinegar and garlic flakes! I take it you just douse the blade with vinegar then sprinkle the flakes on? Was it left overnight? Lovely finish...

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Hmmmm...depressed now....too much talent!!!

I really like the blade finish to....as below will you impart the knowledge of how you achieved this or is it a state secret ;)
how durable is the finish/will it take every day use without roughing up?
well when i gettime i best practise some more, looks like there is more to learn goodjob

Mojo

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated.

Hmmmm...depressed now....too much talent!!!

I really like the blade finish to....as below will you impart the knowledge of how you achieved this or is it a state secret ;)
how durable is the finish/will it take every day use without roughing up?
well when i gettime i best practise some more, looks like there is more to learn goodjob

Mojo

Ohhhh, definitely state secret, kept in a vault at night, with 2 one-headed dogs (couldn't afford a 3 headed one...) sitting on the trap door :D

It does not come off, the vinegar eats the metal around the edges of the flakes so the pattern stays, it can fade a bit if you let your knife oxidise but reappears if you polish the blade.

See, you got 1/2 the secrets already!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE