New Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I just finished an historical novel named "Forest" by a fella named Edward Rutherford. For some more backround I looked up information on "The New Forest" on the net. To my surprise, "The New Forest seems to have everything but trees (to be sure - there seemed to be some trees, but if these photos were from Minnesota - they would be labeled "prairie").

I guess, growing up in NE Minnesota forest country - I'm used to forests where you can hardly get through for the trees. Does England have any forests like this?

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
in my area id say about 1/3 of all the conifer plantations are too dense to walk through. of the native woodland id say its all ok to walk through although some can be hard due to ferns, brambles or knotweed.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
The New Forest has been managed for centuries for timber for ship building or tanning, hunting deer and grazing live stock. The area itself is known as a forest but as you rightly point out is not entirely covered with trees.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good book though Pierre isn't it?

If you enjoyed it I can suggest "Sarum" by the same author

Theres very little primal woodland left in the UK these days - most is managed for timber, shooting etc.

As you know of course having read the book "forest" does not actually refer to trees but rather a hunting reserve for the king - our woodlands were always different to Canadian woods anyway as there are only 3 types of native evergreens in the UK - almos all of our woods were broadleaves originally

Red

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Mr_Rimps said:
The New Forest has been managed for centuries for timber for ship building or tanning, hunting deer and grazing live stock. The area itself is known as a forest but as you rightly point out is not entirely covered with trees.
the same with the forest of dean,i think they were created as hunting areas for some king or other in mediavel times.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Indeed, it was a "Royal Forest", the word "Forest" being a designation for a managed piece of land, rather like today's National Parks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_forest

The other thing to remember is that when you look up "The New Forest" on the net, you will see a lot of pictures of the various commerical and tourist activities that take place in the realm of the New Forest area, rather than the trees contained therein. Its a big tourist destination.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
The new forest is predominantly heathland now days (and it isn't new either), as is ashdown forest. My local forest, St Leonards forest in horsham has loads of history and legends, but is still mainly wooded, but with small pockets of heathland, lovely place it is to...

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Brocktor said:
in my area id say about 1/3 of all the conifer plantations are too dense to walk through. of the native woodland id say its all ok to walk through although some can be hard due to ferns, brambles or knotweed.

Where I live near Peterborough in Northants, There is a large-ish forest that is mainly coniferous plantation which is very dense and difficult to walk through. Broadleaf trees need more suface area as they need sunlight, unlike coniferous trees, which can be very closely packed together. Also, the New Forest is just the name of the National Park in that area, and is just a general term for what is protected there. Just like the Lake district is many lakes, not one huge one (terrible example I know! :rolleyes:)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Well, truth is, we have very little primeval forest here anymore either. I read accounts from the early 1800s where an early trader walked from the Snake River to the Mississippi and didn't see the sun for three days - due to the forest canopy. Today it is mostly farm land.

In Southern Minnesota there is an area called "The Big Woods." This was deciduous forest. Today it is prairie. Originally, a squirrel could have crossed from the Atlantic Ocean to that point, half a continent, without touching the ground.

There are a few spots where you can see what the original forest looked like. A large area in the eastern BWCA was beautiful old growth pine. It was hit by a large storm a few years ago, so it is tough to walk through anymore, but many of the huge trees remain.

North of where we live, a large tract of white pine forest was never logged - due to a survey error. Technically, the land does not exist. Many of the trees are three to four hundred years old.

On Seagull there are cedars which are 1500 years old. Love to see those old forests.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
British Red said:
Good book though Pierre isn't it?

If you enjoyed it I can suggest "Sarum" by the same author

Theres very little primal woodland left in the UK these days - most is managed for timber, shooting etc.

As you know of course having read the book "forest" does not actually refer to trees but rather a hunting reserve for the king - our woodlands were always different to Canadian woods anyway as there are only 3 types of native evergreens in the UK - almos all of our woods were broadleaves originally

Red

Very good book. Read Sarum first. Now reading "London."

Will keep me busy for a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE