New Forest Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2008
London
Hi

I live in London and as you might expect there are not too many secluded areas for wild camping / bushcrafting etc. I was looking for a feasible, secluded area within travelling distance for a weekend. Ideally it would have woods / water nearby. Was thinking Dartmoor but might be a bit far for a weekend. What does anyone think of the New Forest. has anyone tried it there? Are there any particularly secluded parts where you can camp (responsibly) and not be disturbed. I appreciate the laws but we also have the right to enjoy the land if we leave it as we found it.

Regards

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
the new forest is a good place to go for a bushcraft aslong as you stay within the law, I would suggest to stick to campsites provided, fires are not allowed but bbq's are, as for the rest of the bushcraft skills think lateraly. fishing is by permit only . you can canoe/kayak along the coast but may not be allowed on freshwater rivers.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi

I live in London and as you might expect there are not too many secluded areas for wild camping / bushcrafting etc. I was looking for a feasible, secluded area within travelling distance for a weekend. Ideally it would have woods / water nearby. Was thinking Dartmoor but might be a bit far for a weekend. What does anyone think of the New Forest. has anyone tried it there? Are there any particularly secluded parts where you can camp (responsibly) and not be disturbed. I appreciate the laws but we also have the right to enjoy the land if we leave it as we found it.

Regards

As far as i am aware you can only camp in designated areas within the new forest and there are very few areas that you can wild camp south of the border :sad6:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi

Regards

The best bet is to get on the phone and ask about where you can go that will allow you to do what you want to do.

Asking for advice on secluded parts of the new forest means that you don't appreciate the law at all, especially when you're also saying that you're going to ignore it because it's your right to. You'll find a lot of people here that totally agree that they should be allowed to use land as long as they leave it in good condition, however, you are not allowed to camp in the New Forest, and having no respect for that fact, leaves others worse off when they try to encourage the authorities to allow them to camp legitimately.

O

oilyrag

you can legally wild camp in the NF: http://www.newforestexpeditionpanel....ndex.php/pg/20

You just need to be on a DoE award. If the award can be described as vocational training, then it's illegal for them to refuse you a place on grounds of age.

Scope of Regulations

The Regulations apply to employment and vocational training. They prohibit unjustified direct and indirect age discrimination, and all harassment and victimisation on grounds of age, of people of any age, young or old.
from berr.gov.uk

Any legal types in our midsts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE