New edge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dean2

Jan 21, 2006
surrey
Hi every one,
quick question, have just been given a nice little knife, however the edge on it is not very good for general camp use, anyone know the best place to have a new edge ground on it?

many thanks
D

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Dean, Is it so far gone that it needs a complete re-grind, or is it simply blunt and in need of sharpening a bit ?

I, (or any number of us on the forum) could do either a re-grind or simply sharpen it for you for the price of the return postage, but why not DIY ?
If you are going to keep and use the knife you are going to have to sharpen it. A small investment in the right kit to do the job will see you being able to sharpen your own knives and axes for the rest of your life. If you are trying to keep costs down try the £5 sharpening kit (a search of the forum will find it). If you want something a little more "substantial" you could invest in a decent waterstone, a Fallkniven DC4 or some DMT diamond hones (not as expensive as the name might suggest ;) ) Coupled with a cheap and effective leather strop loaded with honing paste of some sort any one of these combinations should see you being able to get the knife to "shaving sharp" in very little time.

dean2

Jan 21, 2006
surrey
hi guys, thanks for the feed back, i am planning on keeping and using the knife, i have no problem sharpening the blade but i feel it needs a new better edge being reground on it! it is also a damascus blade aparently and i dont want to spoil it! longstrider, would you be able to tell if it was the real deal?

cheers
Dean

leon-1

dean2 said:
hi guys, thanks for the feed back, i am planning on keeping and using the knife, i have no problem sharpening the blade but i feel it needs a new better edge being reground on it! it is also a damascus blade aparently and i dont want to spoil it! longstrider, would you be able to tell if it was the real deal?

cheers
Dean

Either post pictures on here or BB, if it hasn't been acid etched then there is a chance that none of us would know.

Have a search for a Hoodo hone, it may well be the best way of maintaineg an edge, but any which way pictures are the best way to indicate the condiion of the blade, even though we will not be able to identify what the knife is made of without certain indicators.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE