New DD travel hammock, my thoughts.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stiks

Mar 21, 2006
N. Wales
Firstly, a big THANK YOU to Sandbag47 for the group buy :D

I received my hammock yesterday Sat. before it was posted, now that’s quick !! Sandbag said it would be posted Monday.

First impression when I received the package was the weight, heavier than I expected, I never checked the weight, silly boy. Having said that I’m ok with the extra weight.

I have fittings in my flat, so up it went! ….
First thing I did was to cut short the rope and add carabiners as I like to be able to adjust things hammock end, better in foul weather.

I sorted out the elastic to hold up the net, the net is very heavy duty and should stand up to use well. I decided to sew the two bottom layers together in three places as I’ve done in the past to another hammock I had. It does not pull / put strain on anything so that was good.

Climbing in and trying it for size I immediately noticed how soft / comfortable the material is, great I do like to lounge au natural in the summer :eek:

The tabs sewn inside for hanging your bits and bobs are only attached with one line of stitching and I spotted that the cut ends had not been melted over thus were fraying back to the stitching. One of the tabs had partly come off due to this.
To remedy I melted the fraying ends and added some extra stitching to strengthen, adding more to the centre tab as I like to run a line inside.

Later I added my under quilt ready to spend a night in it. This highly amused my young nephew!

I spent a great restful night in my new DD travel hammock, very impressed! :)

Compared to my Clark.

It’s more comfortable, roomier!
I will no doubt miss the Clarks weather shield which cuts down the amount of cold falling air. But, I can design something if need be.
The pockets under the Clark were useful but I can do without them. They keep it a tad warmer by trapping air but the underquilt deals with that.
You can only access the DD from one side but that’s no real inconvenience.
The DD is heavier, prepared to put up with that for the extra comfort compared to the Clark.

Don’t get me wrong, the Clark is a crackin hammock and worth the dosh IMO for the extra protection (I’ve been out in some horrendous weather, it’s coped beautifully) and it’s versatility in the multiple configuration stakes, but, that’s a big but for me, only if you can sleep comfortably on your back and are slimmer than me!

All in all, I like it! …… Some bits need doing, but hey it was under 35 quid !!
I certainly don’t mind doing little bit s here and there, I’m always fiddling to improve / make things the way I like em, so it aint a problem and for that price I’ll enjoy doing them!!
You can’t expect the attention to detail you get with the likes of Clark or Hennessy at 3 or 4 times the price.

I like it so much I’m going to take the risk that it will perform well in bad weather and list my Clark on ebay!! …… The dosh will in come in useful for my new toy, a custom American Flatbow, being built very soon ;)

A pleased Stiks is itching to get out now!

Just one quick question to you guys that already use a DD.
I was comfortable last night but how taught do you have it for best kipping??

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Glad you're pleased with your new DD. If you set your tarp/fly low over the hammock, in a tight inverted V, you can reduce the amount of cold air dropping on you through the net. I always set up the net on my old 2006 Travel even in winter as I find it helps keep off small drafts. I think the new netting might even work better in this regard.

Will have to check the inner loops on my new one and maybe follow your example, strengthening the stitching. :D

Cheers.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Nice review - unfortunately it's made me even more jealous that mine hasn't arrived yet! :(

I'll be sure to check all the stitching etc too :)

Side question about tarps - will you be carrying some pegs for guying out the tarp, or relying upon natural anchor points?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Re pegs;

I carry 4 with me but you can always make some out of a branch or use some rocks, whatever floats yer boat. I always want my tarp up quick and solid hence the pegs.

Cheers,

Alan

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I used to carry pegs but just use thumb-thick bits of branch now, unless I can tie off to nearby trees. I just point them with my knife and carve a quick notch about an inch from the top end.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Will have to check the inner loops on my new one and maybe follow your example, strengthening the stitching. :D

Checked all my loops. All seem ok except one. All the loops seem to have been doubled over at both ends with a single line of stitching across it - one end making a larger loop to be used and the other just being folded over and tucked away to tidy up. This way you can't really see if the loops have been melted at the end ..... I suspect not as the one that hasn't been looped over on both sides shows the frayed end ..... not sure how to go about melting this with out melting the midge net?!? ..... might just leave it as it doesn't seem too badly frayed at the moment.

The whole hammock has a very robust feel to it. The hammock fabric and zip feel very well made and sturdy. The midge net is very fine and again feels pretty hardwearing.
Going to hopefully use it this weekend. Will be able to give it a better review then.

Things I’m considering moding are:-

As has been mentioned previosuly – cutting the tapes and using Krabs/climbing tape instead – this will depend on how well I get on with the supplied cord.

Fixing 3 short sections of Velcro along the edge between the two layers on the hammock. This way it will keep them together and should stop a thermarest/sleeping pad popping out during the night.

.......... oh and SB :You_Rock_

..... not sure how to go about melting this with out melting the midge net?!? .....

Beer Monster

Whenever I need to melt stuff (webbing / cord etc.) I heat an old table knife and then use it to melt the ends. I find it more controlled, it sometimes requires a couple of goes reheating the knife in between, but it does the job without harm elsewhere.

Its best to clean the knife immediately after use by reheating & wiping with a rag (doubled up to protect your fingers from the heat) - then its ready for next time. Whatever you do don't use your main knife for this or you'll wreck the previous heat treatment applied. (Sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs.)

Jon

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Anyone got any x tarp rigging tips? I think I'm going to need them, I'm a little confused.

Can it only be rigged one way and where / how is the ridgeline supposed to run? Am I being a little dumb here?

Help!

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Sure Andy, but none of those photos has any close-up details of how the tarp is tensioned, on my basha it's a cinch, there's a handy loop right there so I can tie a short length of cord to and tighten it up, on the tarp I guess you have to tie onto the material with the slit in?

In which case, personally I'd prefer to spread the load around that area as much as possible, rather than pinch it with knotted cord etc. Unless of course it doesn't need tightening at those points?

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
If you decide to, then you can use a soldering iron - carefully.

Beer Monster

Whenever I need to melt stuff (webbing / cord etc.) I heat an old table knife and then use it to melt the ends. I find it more controlled, it sometimes requires a couple of goes reheating the knife in between, but it does the job without harm elsewhere.

Its best to clean the knife immediately after use by reheating & wiping with a rag (doubled up to protect your fingers from the heat) - then its ready for next time. Whatever you do don't use your main knife for this or you'll wreck the previous heat treatment applied. (Sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs.)

Jon

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't have a soldering iron so it looks like I might use Bushscouts knife idea. Cheers :) .

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I just use loops of paracord to attach tensioning lines when needed, though I like the suggestion you made on the other thread for some sort of toggle arrangement. I'd like to see that if you get a chance to do it.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
They're in the post so you won't have long to wait! I'm also going to sew 4 small loops with a toggle along the webbing strip beneath the zip (stronger and they'll hang away from the body when not in use so should be no issues with lumps) and four matching loops to the underside of the hammock, this is to retain the mat and seal the opening between the layers.

Should require a minimum of stitching, be quite strong and easy to fix in the field should one break.

Photos as soon as its complete.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Well, I sorted out the hole tonight - ended up just stitching one of the inside loops to the mesh, to make a patch - nice and strong, and no way in for the midges :)

Update: And today I gave it a quick test - very comfortable :D, but forgot the shockcord, so couldn't really rig the net. :( Looking forward to sleeping out in it though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE