New cook system.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Im looking for a new cooking system and the two i have narrowed down to are the
crusader and the sweedish system.

Are there any pros and cons to either if so could you please advise.

Thanks johnny.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I presume you're talking about the Military Trangia set (SAT)! The civvie set is a belter, but much more expensive. (if you are looking at that one though, the Clas Ohlsen version at about a tenner is much better value, and 90% as good!)

I have both, but find the SAT is much more flexible and useful, albeit a fair bit heavier. Don't spend extra for the stainless steel version - in my humble opinion it's not worth either the extra weight or cash, the aluminium version being plenty tough enough, and it cooks better too - no hotspots on the bottom that you find with the SS set.

Despite having a totally unnecessarily large collection of stoves of all types, I find my SAT is my normal go-to stove, and always have one in the boot of my car.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Jetboil is fine but when its really cold nah. Still love it for brews and that but you know when you want to go a bit more traditional. Ideally something i can use with trangia burner/fuel tablets and can use over an open fire.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have both the SAT & Crusader, i only use the Crusader with a Monkey Boy meths stove or green snot for brews, the SAT i use with the supplied meths burner and over the open fire and have cooked all sorts in it from breads to full meals, as well us just boiling water for brews and dehydrated foods.

The Crusader limits you on it's size more than anything as to what you can do and there are plenty pof threads about the pros and cons of using green snot for fuel etc, but with the SAT & folding Swedish army kuksa you could cook a three course meal if you wanted to, the SAT is considerably bigger and heavier than the Crusader, but gives you more options

hth's?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Cheers for that gents. Just debating now of i should use a crusader for brews and simple cooking and take my zebra as well for extra cooking space and over open flame.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i had a crusader and found it slow. I also have a triangia but its slower than my home made meths stove from a alu beer bottle. sometimes the best things in life are free :) (well the cost of a beer lol). Trangia is very fuel efficient though and will burn for longer than my beer bottle stove + you can leave fuel in it

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
i had a crusader and found it slow. I also have a triangia but its slower than my home made meths stove from a alu beer bottle. sometimes the best things in life are free :) (well the cost of a beer lol). Trangia is very fuel efficient though and will burn for longer than my beer bottle stove + you can leave fuel in it

I know where your coming from there but its not as much about the burner but more the pan/cup system im bothered about.
The more i think about it the moreinclined i am to stick with the honey stove and billy and just have a seperate mug. I already have a crusader mug that goes on the honey, i was looking for something that packs away nice and compact but will last years.

The honey is good but fidly to assemble when your cold where as the crusader you just open burner in the bottom mug on top and your away.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Jetboil is fine but when its really cold nah.
To be fair, I've used it at around -12C maybe even got down to -15C a couple weeks ago and it lit first time and boiled in maybe a few seconds longer than usual, it very rarely gets colder than that in the UK. Saying that though the fuel makes the difference, I could imagine with anything other than four season fuel it'd be a pig.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I tend to just use 1 pot and a kettle so for me i carry my beer stove, 0.8l kettle and a 1l pot for meals. all nests in the pot with a windshield. I dont really cook anything serious on it just pasta and drinks etc. if car camping I use a briefcase bbq for 'proper meals' burning wood. I do like the honey but have resisted the temptation. If you want a beer bottle meths stove to try pm me your address as ive a few with imperfections that work just fine but are not A1 in the looks dept.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
To be fair, I've used it at around -12C maybe even got down to -15C a couple weeks ago and it lit first time and boiled in maybe a few seconds longer than usual, it very rarely gets colder than that in the UK. Saying that though the fuel makes the difference, I could imagine with anything other than four season fuel it'd be a pig.

Im using it with basic coleman gas and when really cold its poor. I need to get some tri-mix gas for it

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I tend to just use 1 pot and a kettle so for me i carry my beer stove, 0.8l kettle and a 1l pot for meals. all nests in the pot with a windshield. I dont really cook anything serious on it just pasta and drinks etc. if car camping I use a briefcase bbq for 'proper meals' burning wood. I do like the honey but have resisted the temptation. If you want a beer bottle meths stove to try pm me your address as ive a few with imperfections that work just fine but are not A1 in the looks dept.

I have a whitebox but there a pain to smother when you have finished with it. Like i say im happy with the burner its the pots really.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Pros and cons i can see

Crusader pros
all fits together compact
water bottle fits inside

Cons

Need to keep fuel and burner seperate ( good thing to avoid spillage)

SAT pros

Larger pans
fuel and burner can be kept inside

Cons

Need to keep water bottle seperate.

If anyone wants to add to the pros / cons please do so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE