New chain saw advice - very hot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Hi.

I purchased a new petrol chainsaw at the weekend, always used a corded one in the past.

It was only a cheap starter one for light work but the body of the machine seems to get very hot after just a minute of use. The chain and the bar seem fine so I know that the lubricant is good.

I may have miscalculated the oil/petrol mix but would have thought that would make the device stall rather than run hot after minimal use?

Please see here for the part that gets hot: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2765570.htm#pdpFullProductInformation It's the silver metal plate underneath the brake that has 2 black nuts attaching it to the main body.

On the other hand, the heat may be normal, I'm not sure.

It gets hot enough that you cannot touch it, and if liquid hits it, it hisses. There is no guard to stop accidental contact.

It was bought from Argos so I cannot ask the staff there for advice and it's a little tricky to describe over the telephone.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stu

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I don't know your saw, but that looks to me like the exhaust outlet which will get hot.
I hope you will be wearing gloves. That should cut down the chance of bare skin making contact.

Chainsaws can be quite unfriendly things to be around even when they aren't running and must always be handled carefully.

Z

Last edited:
As said , if this hot area is in the region of the exhaust it will get hot, if you feel this is a hazard that could of been avoided by a better design of the heat guard or the exhaust and you feel it is dangerous to the user return it to the store explaining your reservations, then go and buy a decent reputable make like a Sthil

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The rest of the body looks to be plastic - so will not conduct heat very well. Essentially, you have an engine that runs very hot and it is surrounded by insulation - so the of course the only exposed metal will get very very hot.

As for the lack of guard - no part of your body should be wandering into that area when the motor is running.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If you run the engine with a bad premix, especially one that is low on oil, the engine will run very hot as it will be on the edge of meltdown due to lack of lubrication. Two stroke engines can also run hot if there isnt enough petrol getting through - grossly too much or wrong type of oil in the premix results in a very lean mixture to burn. So using the correct premix ratio is very important.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
As for the lack of guard - no part of your body should be wandering into that area when the motor is running.

Appreciate that, but the hot bit doesn't suddenly cool right down the moment motor stops does it? It remains hot for a good while after, so could easily be touched when the saw guard is back on and it's perfectly reasonable to have your hands in that area.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the helpful replies guys, feeling a bit better about things now. I always wear my gloves when operating a chainsaw, but it does trouble me that a burn could still occur 30 minutes after the saw has been in use.

Thanks again

Stu

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
SXM - its definately the exhaust and perfectly normal that it will get scorching and stay hot a good while after use. Always wise to check if unsure about anything.

You MUST ( emphasis for comic effect ) remember than whenever you ask a question its an opportunity for some of the good members here to pitch in with help and some to fully display their own prowess :cool: so just let it flow by. There's not been nearly enough argument posted about 'the best chainsaw' yet - so brace yourself :lmao:

That said, there's an element of truth in most things. And it is worth working toward a good brand/ model when you can - mainly for safety, then ease of use and then economics - the good brands will massively outlast the 'also rans' - you know it already - sorry for lapse!

Fuel mix - brain the size of a planet, I always ended up struggling to recall it and ended up working back from 5 litre mixes. Then found a 20ml cap thingy in some cough medicine pack. Perfect 1;50 is one 20ml dose per litre and two of them for 1:25 - even I can remember it.

Happy sawing.

PS go Husqvarna! :cool:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Just to throw my tuppence ha'penny in the ring....

McCulloch make nice chainsaws too :lmao:

Mine, at least, has a plastic guard around the exhaust manifold/silencer area.
That said, for the advertised price of what you have, corners will have been cut so 'Tankies' (albeit misspelled) advice to go for a better quality make is not that far wrong, nor, meant as an insult to you.

Rob.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Appreciate that, but the hot bit doesn't suddenly cool right down the moment motor stops does it? It remains hot for a good while after, so could easily be touched when the saw guard is back on and it's perfectly reasonable to have your hands in that area.

And you could easily burn yourself on the exhaust of your car by getting out and touching it. :D
Its a small machine and most chainsaw manufacturers spend lot on the design so as to make it safe & efficient. Some of the attempts I've seen as to how to clear gases away from the operator, massive mufflers to cut down noise, and convoluted pipeworks to increase efficacy beggar belief.
Simple physics though about work done and heat generated. It has to go somewhere & dissipate somehow, all wrapped up in a wee handheld machine that has to work in a variety of adverse conditions.
(I see now that they've started putting ECU's in chainsaws I can't help but think on it being an expensive and troublesome addition.)

(go Husqvarna. ;) ).
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Probably most popular here for pro forestry work is either Husqvarna and Stihl.
The Douglas-fir that you see in my avatar was cut with a big Stihl with a 36" bar.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
And you could easily burn yourself on the exhaust of your car by getting out and touching it. :D

I suppose you could on a 4x4 with one of those exhausts that runs over the roof, a scuba exhaust is it? But on a 'normal road car' it would be hard to burn your digits by accident :D Or at least I'd hope so :lmao:

I don't know why, but the thought of the exhaust just never even occurred to me, sounds silly now I know.

I can't really justify spending more (I paid £66 in the sale, not the advertised £100) for a chainsaw that I would use maybe twice a year as I have the electric one at home. The petrol one was purchased for when I need to cut wood away from an electrical outlet which will be very, very rare. I'd prefer a better brand, but this will do for the time being.

Also, to be honest, accidents with chainsaws trouble me, so there's not an icicles chance in a hot place that I would try to push a cheaper version to perform above it's capabilities.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, it is appreciated.

Cheers

Stu

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I suppose you could on a 4x4 with one of those exhausts that runs over the roof, a scuba exhaust is it? But on a 'normal road car' it would be hard to burn your digits by accident :D Or at least I'd hope so :lmao:

A popular misconception but those "scuba exhaust(s)" on 4x4s are actually raised (or snorkel) air intakes so are very unlikely to burn anyone! ;)

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Stu,

I hope you are using reasonable quality safety gear with your saws. Good saw trousers/chaps are essential, along with gloves and a proper hard hat/visor/ear defender jobby.
Hope this doesn't come across as condescending, it's really not meant to.

Dave

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
As said , if this hot area is in the region of the exhaust it will get hot, if you feel this is a hazard that could of been avoided by a better design of the heat guard or the exhaust and you feel it is dangerous to the user return it to the store explaining your reservations, then go and buy a decent reputable make like a Sthil

All chainsaws vent here, changing brands won't make any difference.

to guarantee you get your mix right, Stihl do one-shot oil bottles. Just add to 5ltrs of fuel. They're more expensive but ideal for the occasional user.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Stu,

I hope you are using reasonable quality safety gear with your saws. Good saw trousers/chaps are essential, along with gloves and a proper hard hat/visor/ear defender jobby.
Hope this doesn't come across as condescending, it's really not meant to.

Dave

Boots, don't forget the boots. ;)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use an empty one of those Stihl bottles to measure out my 2 stroke oil for the saws and trimmers.

Well spotted on the boots, although they kill my feet!

Dave

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE