New Bushcraft Website

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Got the site bookmarked for an explore when more awake, cringeworthy image on the front page though, resting your spoon on your thigh to apply pressure with your crook knife hovering above your femoral artery is never a wise plan, hope that guy is near a hospital

Spoon-Comes-To-Life_750-400x200.jpg

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Got the site bookmarked for an explore when more awake, cringeworthy image on the front page though, resting your spoon on your thigh to apply pressure with your crook knife hovering above your femoral artery is never a wise plan, hope that guy is near a hospital

View attachment 43153

A slight over-reaction.
Wise and safety conscious bushcrafters, eh?
How much pressure do you put into making your spoons? Enough to have the knife burst through your leg, drive down into the flesh, and sever an artery? Blimey.

When I looked at the site there was a picture entitled 'Last Of The Clog Makers' with said maker holding a crook knife pointing toward his stomach.
What a dreadful message he's giving to people. I suppose he better be careful he doesn't disembowel himself...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That approach to spoon carving looks really clumsy and inefficient. Both hands.
Here in the Pacific Northwest, carvers hold a crooked knife exactly the same way that a farrier holds a crooked knife.
There's little chance of getting hit. I wear a heavy canvas apron as I've got a few chest hits that wrecked my shirts.

I would agree that the only thing to stop a PacNW carving adze would be a bone in your leg.
Always plan for misses and over strikes first.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Great link; thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of good info and some awesome videos and photos.
Cheers.
Russ

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Nice one. Thanks for posting. Something to read if the predicted snow gets out of hand round here on Thursday. I'll definately sign up for the newsletter - just can't resist anything if it's free. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE