New brit army rations instruction sheet?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi does anyone have a copy of the new Brit army rations instruction sheet?
or one from the previous issue (with the foil packed meals)?
just a "scanned" version would be fine.

bought a new ration pack all the bit's ready to use but wondered if there should have been an instruction sheet like there used to be?

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi Rap,

Like you I remember the good old days when a rat pack consisted of tins, biscuits brown and instructions for how to prepare your nutritious and tasty meals.

Nowadays, though, there's just a menu sheet to let you know what you missed when everyone else nabbed all of the Menu 3s. Instructions tend to be printed on the individual item's wrappers when needed.

At least that's my experience. I only get compo a couple times a year and (luckily) don't have to live off it in the field for weeks at a time. There does seem to be quite a lot of variation in different batches nowadays.

Claudiasboris

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
aw...I'm not quite keeping up am I, :rolleyes:

it's for my son's benefit really, we're going camping and he really wanted a ration pack, and wanted to do it himself, but there don't seem to be clear instructions.
It's a menu 3 by the way! :p

cheers anyway.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Sorry Rap, how to cook a rat pack is covered in lessons, both for cadets and grown-ups. That (and the fact that they keep changing the contents at the moment) has probably led to cut-backs in printing instructions.

Claudiasboris

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
There are no instructions with the new rat packs. It's just a box with the stuff inside, they rely on common sense to heat the meals in boiling water for about 5-7 minutes.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I too never came accross instructions in the surplus boxes we were issued in he cadets from 2001-2003
I subsequently starved due to lack of instruction...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Had a looooong, search :( for an instruction sheet of any kind, and borrowed this it's a bit extended, some of the wording you'll recognise.(slightly edited by me) from another site:
24 Hour Army ORP Ration Instructions

DO NOT REMOVE THE PROTECTIVE OUTER BAG UNTIL THE POUCHES ARE TO BE USED

Pouched foods may be eaten hot or cold. the heat, remove outer wrapper and place unopened pouch in boiling water for 7-8 minutes.
The kosher menues are listed separately in the Kosher ORP boxes. contents may vary, depending on ration type and items available at the time of packing.

The 24 Hour Ration Pack​
All the pouched food within the pack is designed to be eaten hot or cold. Operational rations are designed to meet the nutritional requirements of the operational environment. To ensure that the right level of nutrients are consumed, all edible items in the pack should be eaten. There is between 3,500 to 4,500 calories in a ration pack.

..BREAKFAST...........SNACK.........MAIN MEAL..​
The ration pack is designed to produce two hot meals per day with a cold midday snack and beverages at intervals throughout.
You will need the following.
Two mess tins,Knife, Fork and Spoon.
One litre water bottle and a mug.
A hexamine cooker and blocks, matches or a lighter.

Breakfast, pouched meal labelled white.
Main Meal, pouched main meal labelled red.
Dessert, Pouched meal labelled light blue.

Snack Meal​
Oatmeal biscuit, fruit biscuits, brown biscuits, assorted spread, two assorted chocolate bars, and a packet of boiled sweets.

A Sundries and Drinks Pack
Chewing gum, weatherproof matches, paper tissues, water purification tablets, menu sheet (in old packs) , chocolate drink, beverage whitener, sugar, tea, coffee, beef stock drink and lemon or orange powder.

although contents may vary depending on the items available at time of packing.
The ration pack has been designed to give the correct nutrition for the day so where practical meals should be eaten in the correct order i.e. breakfast meal complete during morning routine.
Snack during rest periods in the day and main meal before evening routine.

Religious Ration Packs​
In order to cater for the religious needs, there are menus for each of the following religious groups:
Halal Religion. The pouch meals have been replaced with similar meals but the meat items are slaughtered in accordance with Halal procedures or contain meat free substitutes.
Kosher Religion.
Vegetarian contain no meat.
PatrolThese require water for the meals.
All items in the ration pack have been replaced by similar products that conform to the kosher requirements.
Sikh/Hindu Religion. The pouch meals have been replaced by vegetable dishes or a meat analogue meal.

In order to assist with measurements, the small mess tin filled to the bottom of the centre rivet equals ½ litre of water. If you are going to put two meals in, fill up to the first two rivets otherwise it will overflow.
There are sufficient beverage ingredients to make ½ litre (a mug) of soup, 1½ litres of tea, ½ litre of coffee, ½ litre of drinking chocolate, ½ litre of orange or lemon drink and 200 ml of beef stock drink. Additional beverage ingredients are provided in hot and cold climate variants.

For drinking water, one purification tablet should be used for each litre of water. The water should be left for at least 10 minutes before drinking, however it should be left for 30 minutes when making orange or lemon drink.
The waterproof matches should be retained for lighting the hexamine blocks under adverse conditions.
All pouched food may be eaten hot or cold. If required hot, the reheating instructions are given on the wrapper of each pouch. These wrappers should not be removed until the pouches are about to be heated for consumption.

To heat the pouch requires you to remove outer clear plastic wrapper and place the unopened pouch in boiling water for 7-8 minutes. If a food pouch is punctured and the food is visible through the clear wrap do not use. The water used for heating can then be used for making beverages or washing/shaving.

All pouched meals are to be eaten in the silver bag and not taken out and cooked in the mess tin. You will notice to little nicks in the top of each corner of the bag. This is where you tear open the bag.

Last edited:

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Rat packs are easy just drop the food foil packet in water when the waters boiling take it out and then use the water for a brew.
The instruction only tell you what food you have in your pack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE