New Boots Time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Well its coming around to that time again when I need a need pair of boots. I was out at the weekend and my footwear is no longer up to the task and are now leaking water through the seams. The rubber toe cap is pulling away from the leather. Although my boots get cleaned after every outing and re-waterproofed every month, I'm pretty rough on my boots and they tend to get abused somewhat so I'm in need of getting a good sturdy pair.

My current pair are the product of Meindl. This is my second pair in the last 6 years as my first pair were lifted from my rucksack by some kind individual while I was on the train. I replaced them with a cheaper model but in hind sight I should have stumped up the extra cash and bought the same as before.

I am considering either another pair of Meindl Dovre or alternatively a pair of Scarpa SL Activ boots.

I used to use Brashers but they seem to have changed their cut as the last time I tried on a selection of them they were all too narrow for my fat feet.

Can anyone recommend a pair of boots for me to try on the next time I get chance to visit the mainland? They need to have good ankle support and come in wider fittings.

I read on another thread about Altberg boots and being able to have an alternative to the Vibram sole. That would be good as I think the Vibram soles tend to wear out pretty quick. I see from their website that they also do wider fittings which is ideal. Can anyone recommend a stockist or would it be worth stopping by the factory to get measured up as I'm going down that way in a few weeks so could call in for a fitting?

Any help, advice or opinions would be greatly received.

Thanks
Darren

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Good timing; I am in the same position as you and looking for a decent new pair.

A keen walking friend swears by his leather Brashers and lots of proofing/polish but I am keen to hear from those with more experience.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The Scarpa SLs are very good but you might find it worth looking at Altberg boots - British made and in a variety of widths. There are loads of models to choose from and they are very helpful. I have a pair of SLs and I also have a pair of Altberg Jungle boots. I've never regretted buying either pair!

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I got a pair of Brasher Supalite 2's earlier this year. I have wide feet and didn't think the Brashers were too tight...

They did my punish me somewhat until I got them broken in, but that's to be expected with any leather boot I guess. They fit like slippers now and can be brought back to new condition with a liberal dose of dubbin.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have Scarpa SLs, Very comfortable out of the box. Front rubber on one is starting to come adrift on one of them and they havent done that many miles. A little shoe goo should fix that though.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you go to Richmond and get fitted out at Altberg you'll never regret it. You'll be seen by someone who knows boots inside out, and if what they sell doesn't suit your footshape they carry a comprehensive stock by all the other makers, so you come away with a good pair of boots that fit you properly. It's best to call and make an appointment then you know you'll get the best of attention, and I'd recommend you go in the afternoon after a decent 5 mile walk wearing the socks you'll normally wear so your feet are in the shape they'll be in when using your new footwear.

It was the best thing I ever did for my feet, I bought their Field & Fell originals and have never been happier with boots. I'll buy exactly the same thing again when the time comes; do your feet a favour!........atb mac

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I think I may be leaning towards a pair of Altberg boots. I have been doing a lot of reading on other sites and going by them and what you guys say I think I would be daft not to at least call in for a fitting. If not I can always go back to my original plan and look at Scarpa and Meindl.

Lundhag...a name I'm not familiar with....off to google them :D

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
If you go to Richmond and get fitted out at Altberg you'll never regret it. You'll be seen by someone who knows boots inside out, and if what they sell doesn't suit your footshape they carry a comprehensive stock by all the other makers, so you come away with a good pair of boots that fit you properly. It's best to call and make an appointment then you know you'll get the best of attention, and I'd recommend you go in the afternoon after a decent 5 mile walk wearing the socks you'll normally wear so your feet are in the shape they'll be in when using your new footwear.

It was the best thing I ever did for my feet, I bought their Field & Fell originals and have never been happier with boots. I'll buy exactly the same thing again when the time comes; do your feet a favour!........atb mac

Absolutely agree, although I have to point out I'm from Richmond originally and my brother used to work with the chaps from altberg! However that does not detract form their great boots and 1st class service!

I have a pair if peace keepers and they are absolutely bomb proof!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Decided on a couple of pairs in the end.

I saw a pair of Lowa tall Gore tex army boots for sale on here and decided to give them a go as winter boots. Seem fine and comfy but too warm to be breaking in around the house. Off for a walk tomorrow while the daughter is at school.

I also called into the Alt Berg factory in Richmond and bought a pair of Mallerstang walking boots. They are like wearing a pair of slippers. I can't wait until next weekend to give them a good trial.

Both pairs have been treated and are now ready for their maiden voyage. I will report back with my findings :D

Thanks everyone for some really excellent advice and opinions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE