New baker tent!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll bring it up to the next Achray (or wherever) meet for people to examine in close detail and try it out. It should work fine in winter conditions. It was certainly warm in the evening with the small fire in front. A small wall of logs at the other side acting as a reflector would push heat back into the tent effectively. I'll put eyelets down the side though and make a couple of side panels for added wind protection.

I haven't weighed it yet, but it packs up fairly small and doesn't seem too burdensome. It would be fine in a canoe, or short carry in, but I wouldn't fancy a long hike with it on my back along with all my other gear. It would be great for trecking with a horse.

The poles are cumbersome. If I knew I would be able to cut fresh poles at each stopping point then there would only be the canvas to carry, otherwise it gets very heavy.

It takes about ten minutes to lash the poles together, then five minutes to tie the tent to the poles, another two or three minutes for fine adjusting of the poles to ensure the bottom of the tent just touches the ground, then a minute or so to knock the pegs in and you are done.

Eric

Reactions: 1 person

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Eric

I like the poles they look authentic :rolleyes:

The least you could have done was run a drawknife down them :confused:

Great Tent pity about the poles????????

Maybe you should have gone to B&Q :buttkick:

MickT :beerchug: :slap:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Yea, right. I got the poles from B&Q because I didn't have time to cut and peel fresh poles. I only got the tent a couple of days before the event and I couldn't cut poles until I saw what size they needed to be.. It'll be right for the next time.

Eric

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Eric_Methven said:
Yea, right. I got the poles from B&Q because I didn't have time to cut and peel fresh poles. I only got the tent a couple of days before the event and I couldn't cut poles until I saw what size they needed to be.. It'll be right for the next time.

Eric

To be honest, the poles don't bother me... 200 years ago, whoever put this tent together would have been absolutely chuffed with being able to get poles that square!

These days we prefer a more "rustic" look but in reality, someone of the time would probably see that as a bodge if you intend to use the poles more than once.

I may end up just ordering a baker tent from Duluthpack at some point because I really do like the look of them.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'm still going to make rustic poles though. I'll recycle the square section wood into kids swords to sell at the next event I attend.

Why not make one for yourself? A heavy duty domestic sewing machine will do the job OK.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eric, I've been looking at the pattern you've given and the cutting diagram. Do you think there'd be any advantage to taking the lengths of the bolt of fabric from front to back and joining the side panels the same way so that all of the seams run downwards and not cut across the flow of rain?

Cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
It probably would be better to keep the seams vertical. I can't think of any disadvantages. I suppose the amount of material used would be the same. However, having said that, canvas swells when it gets wet and it seems to seal up the stitch lines pretty well. I know yurt roofs are made in strips which basically run across the roof and are seamed in such a way so the edge of the seam faces down the slope, encouraging water to run off rather than gather in a wee puddle.

Eric

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Eric,

Just got caught up with some of the threads I've missed recently and I'm please to say I've now found your's.

Great Tent and I can feel a sewing machine leasson coming on. :rolleyes:

A couple of questions if I may though. The poles are obviously square and you mention why, would these be squared off if you were going for a rustic look or would they be simply poles with the bark remaining?

Secondly, and possibly a bit of a cheek, but do you do tutoring or courses with the pole lathe?

Great tent again!

Cheers

P.S. I'm from the Spennymoor Crook area originally so do of occasion come back up your way if you do do courses.

Pib

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Pibbleb, To look authentic in period, the poles would be round and peeled. The bark is usually taken off to prevent insect infestation, and to indicate that the poles are not firewood :rolleyes:

I don't have any pole lathe courses organised at the moment, but if things go to plan, and after I recover from forthcoming surgery, I will be doing some green woodcraft teaching in a woodland up near Morpeth, as well as bushcraft weekends for the folks here as well. I'll be running tutorials and masterclasses on pole lathe, shave horse, cleft ash gates, hurdle fences, charcoal burning, besom brooms and yurts. Not all on the same weekend of course.

It's all still in the planning stage, but things are loking positive so far. What I will add though, to keep myself right with Tone's rules about advertising, is that stuff taught on the bushcraft weekends will be for FUN, and will be free to any who attend. Any courses I run for business puropses will probably be arranged through the local authority who own the woods, and would be advertised separately over on my own web site.

Eric

Reactions: pumbaa

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Eric_Methven said:
. I'll be running tutorials and masterclasses on pole lathe, shave horse, cleft ash gates, hurdle fences, charcoal burning, besom brooms and yurts. Not all on the same weekend of course.

Eric

Oh dear,you're not trying hard enough obviously. :p :D

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Eric thanks for that. I hadn't really thought of the infestation as a problem, but yes that does make a load of sense.

I hope the surgery goes ok and you recover quickly. My father has just had surgery and whilst setting up his own business he has over done it and now has to sleep two, three hours every afternoon.

I'm assured this isn't just an excuse so I guess you should take it ease.

Your plans sound very exciting and I wish you the best for the future. I've added your site to my favorites so I'll keep an eye out.

So to recap, 'Very interesting, get well soon, best wishes for swift recovery from op, good luck with business venture', oh yes and ' thanks' ;)

Pib

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
It is my understanding that the Baker tent got its name during the American Civil War. Baking bread for an army in the field was a major undertaking. Ovens were kept under the canopy and bread was baked 24/7. The very open tent allowed for proper ventilation. This tent was used many years before the civil war, But I think thats when the name stuck.

M

Millbilly

Nice thread Eric (im always chuffed when i see your posts! :) )

Been thinking about this style of tent recently, and enjoyed looking at your pics.

:You_Rock_

Its a shame this thread almost went south, but i must say you handled the negativity in a very mature fashion. You sir, have rep. ;)

Im going to have to make it to an event while your in attendance one of these days, an id love to shake your hand, buy you a beer, and ask you about a thousand questions! :D

Cheers

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Cracking tent - I haven't given up on persuading my wife it's the ideal family tent!! For those who 'car camp' I believe there is a similar design for OzTent (I think they're called). In no way as authentic or beautiful but it may be to some tastes......but not mine. I'll hold out for a pukka Baker!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE