New 'bag

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I know it's a bit bulky but today I got myself a current issue ex mod sleeping bag ('95 pattern) which, sofar I'm pretty happy with, it's thick and hasn't got a massive opening at the top. It came with a decent stuff bag and is rated to -17c (well, some places say that and some say -12c but either are ok for me).

Anyone got any opinions on these? I needed something warmer for the winter and I think it's just what I was looking for. only cost me £12!

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
I know it's a bit bulky but today I got myself a current issue ex mod sleeping bag ('95 pattern) which, sofar I'm pretty happy with, it's thick and hasn't got a massive opening at the top. It came with a decent stuff bag and is rated to -17c (well, some places say that and some say -12c but either are ok for me).

Anyone got any opinions on these? I needed something warmer for the winter and I think it's just what I was looking for. only cost me £12!

where from?

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
off the local flee market, a shop near me quoted me £45 for one and I've seen them on the internet for £30 - 45. Ebay's a bit better I think, saw one on there last night for about £15 so I'd guess it went for 20ish So I'm happy with the price, hoping to get out with it sometime this week so I'll let you know if they're as warm as they look.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I use one my self and have done for years, is your the one with the mesh on the outside about chest hight ?
If so i have tested it to about -6 and been plenty warm enough ;) I do use a bivy bag also so this would add a few dec C.

Great bag weighs a tonne and good luck getting it in the stuff sack :eek: I tend to stuff it in my bivi bag and then stuff that in my bergen.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
The pockets are on the inside of mine, from the outside the zip looks backwards but that's so you can get hold of the tab on the inside to open / close the zip when you're in it. As for the stuff sack - it came with a dutch one which works great, can't comment on the brit' ones.

I haven't got a bivi bag but I've got a feeling I'll be fine, shame it's so bulky and heavy but I'll probably only use it in the winter.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
you sure you havent got it inside out? I thought those mesh pockets were suposed to be on the inside?

Often wondered this my self but the flap that covers the zip seems to suggest the mesh pockets should be on the outside ? Yet the foot strap is on the inside when the pockets are on the inside :confused:

Anyways either way its a great bag, heavy and bulky yes but guarenteed warm nights sleep yes also !

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Thanks for the reply dwardo, I don't know for sure whether your bag's the same as mine etc and I don't mean any offence / egg sucking etc.

The flap over the zip, from what I can make out, goes on the inside along with the pockets. The flap's there to stop the cold metal zip from touching you when you're inside it.

I haven't noticed a "foot strap" on mine though, what is it and what's it for?

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
The mesh pockets go in side, some confusion happens as the washing label is on the outside, I'v not use mine in anger (was issued it) but use my Nanook -10 as its a little smaller and easer to pack. Could take mine to Ben Wyvies this week end and see if it holds up :rolleyes:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey no worries november rain ;)
I used to use the bag with the pockets on th inside but recently it semed better the other way ?? Pockets inside does make more sense and it would also keep your feet from tangling in the strap. When i tried it in the peaks last winter it was with the pockets inside and my thermometer was at -6, no worries at all. Recently tred it the other way and no diference.
I will ask our kid when he is back from afgan ;)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Used mine this weekend a bit bulky but very tostie..

Doh! Was going to go this weekend too but decided not to because I didn't know whether I'd be ok or not, went to about -2 last night and snowed early this morning.

But, better to be safe than sorry :eek: I've still got the option of monday night or next weekend, as long as I don't get called with a job to do :rolleyes:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Pockets go on the inside to dry damp clothes. Tab on the foot is to hand it to air/dry. Top bit of kit. I know some people rave about the issue '58 bag but in 8 years I never, ever had a good one and spent many night shivering. The current bag is roomy and warm (though bulky).

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Doh! Was going to go this weekend too but decided not to because I didn't know whether I'd be ok or not, went to about -2 last night and snowed early this morning.

But, better to be safe than sorry :eek: I've still got the option of monday night or next weekend, as long as I don't get called with a job to do :rolleyes:

Can not be said enough - Insulation from ground I paramount

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Can not be said enough - Insulation from ground I paramount

I know, I wouldn't be on the ground though - unless something went very wrong with my hammock. Obviously the same still applies though, and I'm a little unsure what to put under me (in the hammock) Was going to try an ex-army roll mat this time round, unfortunately I'm skint so an underblanket's not an option really. Any suggestions of something I've probably already got that I could use?

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
That bag hammock and a mat with tarp propely set up for conditions
will see you through anything in UK
The bag is too heavy though really for our temps imho
No problems if no carry in though ,,,,,,,,, mmm toastie warm
I love mine I just cant carry it very far on my back !!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE